Did you mean: 

Getting your foot in the door

andrea_brajnovic
Ace Contributor
Andrea B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
1 of 15
Spoiler

Hi fellow freelancers,

I've asked support some clarifications about the new Enterprise feature and they confirmed that most Enterprise projects aren’t advertised publicly and added that they usually have Hiring Managers first look in a private pool of client-approved freelancers. 

I asked if there's a way to apply to such managers and there isn't.

I wanted to give the Upwork Team a constructive critique about the site: In my opinion it lacks the means for freelancers to actively engage with professional clientele and getting exposure. 

Is anyone else struggling with getting their foot in the door? Have any good advice to share?

Thanks

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 15

Nope. The PM for Adobe approached me after I bid on her project. LIke I've always said, if you truly have the skills and a good proposal, you can easily stand out among the dregs. 

None of those enterprise PMs want the dregs spamming them and begging them for work. That's why it is the way it is.

andrea_brajnovic
Ace Contributor
Andrea B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
3 of 15

Jennifer I understand that this kind of approach should be moderated.

However what I'm proposing in something other that the job feed as a way of getting work.

All the blog posts and discussions on Upwork are saying ''work on your skills, build a good portfolio'' etc but the conclusion is: sit still and wait for an opportunity, and I think that's a passive approach.

I'm suggesting something more active

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 15

@Andrea B wrote:

However what I'm proposing in something other that the job feed as a way of getting work.

All the blog posts and discussions on Upwork are saying ''work on your skills, build a good portfolio'' etc but the conclusion is: sit still and wait for an opportunity, and I think that's a passive approach.

@Andrea B wrote:

You're not supposed to be sitting and waiting for an opportunity--the chances that you're going to get good invitations before you've created a solid work history are pretty slim (if they exist at all). 

Building your skills/portfolio/taking tests/etc. is intended to help you put together a winning proposal when you bid on jobs. Since there are millions of open jobs on the site, you don't need enterprise access to get started.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 15

@Andrea B wrote:

huh? Where does it say sit and wait? I started at the botttom with 0 portfolio items. I didn't even have a history in writing. I just decided that I could do better than the posers claiming to have a background in IT.  Nobody handed me anything. A year ago, I was digging into my savings.

I just did my first 5 figure month this year and had nothing to do with anyone handing me anything. If anyone handed me anything, it's Upwork being so awesome that I get to sit here in my pajamas and grab gigs, do work, and have the safety of escrow. Everything else is me.

The entitlement from people here is crazy. The people who actually have skills and work at it are the ones that succeed. Not the ones QQing on here that Upwork should redefine their work model just for them.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
6 of 15

Don't sit still and wait for an opportunity. Don't get your foot in the door... bash the door to death with your bare feet, march into the room with your head held high, a look of bitter determination on your face, and shout to the top of your voice...

"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore! And we wanna be free! We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man! And we wanna get loaded. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we are gonna do. We are gonna have a good time... we are gonna have a party".

I mean, don't actually do that. But have that mindset while submitting your proposal. Don't sit in a zebra-print onesie watching Bargain Hunt and Jeremy Kyle, waiting for the invites to roll in. Take the jobs page and grab it with both hands. Grab it with both hands and don't let go. Do not go quietly into the night. Do not vanish without a fight.  

If you can think it, you can dream it.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
7 of 15

This was beautiful.  Brought a tear to my eye.

@Scott E wrote:

Don't sit still and wait for an opportunity. Don't get your foot in the door... bash the door to death with your bare feet, march into the room with your head held high, a look of bitter determination on your face, and shout to the top of your voice...

"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore! And we wanna be free! We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man! And we wanna get loaded. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we are gonna do. We are gonna have a good time... we are gonna have a party".

I mean, don't actually do that. But have that mindset while submitting your proposal. Don't sit in a zebra-print onesie watching Bargain Hunt and Jeremy Kyle, waiting for the invites to roll in. Take the jobs page and grab it with both hands. Grab it with both hands and don't let go. Do not go quietly into the night. Do not vanish without a fight.  

If you can think it, you can dream it.

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
8 of 15

Is Enterprise the same as Upworks Pro? I've tried to apply to pro and I got a message saying

"Due to a great deal of interest from freelancers, we’ve temporarily paused the processing of new Pro applications to ensure we’re able to continue delivering great opportunities to Pro members.

We’ve added you to our waitlist and will notify you when we’re ready to review your application. At that time, applications will be processed in the order in which they were received."

Are there many Enterprise clients? I haven't seen any as of yet. Is there a way to enter the Talent Cloud, through interview process with Upworks for example, without first working for an Enterprise client? 

It is entitlement to just want to sit and wait to get work and not do anything, but it would be great to be able to see the enterprise clients and be able to bid on their projects. I personally have worked with fortune 500 companies through elance by bidding on their projects and they were not in the talent group and I got the jobs. 
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
9 of 15

My understanding is that the Enterprise jobs are not listed with the jobs.  There is apparently a whole procedure to be eligible for Enterprise jobs and as far as I know, you need to be asked to go through the procedure.

As a paralegal, I don't have the opportunities for a Pro group or Enterprise jobs, but I'm doing as much work as I want to do.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 15

@Amanda F wrote:

Is Enterprise the same as Upworks Pro? I've tried to apply to pro and I got a message saying

"Due to a great deal of interest from freelancers, we’ve temporarily paused the processing of new Pro applications to ensure we’re able to continue delivering great opportunities to Pro members.

We’ve added you to our waitlist and will notify you when we’re ready to review your application. At that time, applications will be processed in the order in which they were received."

Are there many Enterprise clients? I haven't seen any as of yet. Is there a way to enter the Talent Cloud without first working for an Enterprise client? 

No, the Private Talent Clouds (PTC) for enterprise clients have nothing to do with the Pro Groups. 

To become a member of a client's PTC, you need to get invited first, pass a screening & get accepted in order to have access to those jobs.

Some postings will get published for everybody to apply, though.

I accepted a minor PTC job, that I otherwise would have rejected immediately, only to get access and considered it an investment. Which paid off, as the second assignment was much more lucrative. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS