🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ghosted during interview
Page options
deegolatto
Community Member

Ghosted during interview

UPDATE:  UPWORK REMOVED THE JOB AS AGAINST TOS

I received a request for interview via the Skype platform. I interviewed with the company.  They submitted a list of questions for me to answer. I answered the questions but the interviewer never responded.  I am wondering if maybe it was a scam?  They asked me how I prefer to be paid and I replied, "I believe I am to be paid via the Upwork platform."  Is this correct?  Has anyone else ever interviewed via Skype and experienced this?  I am flumoxed and a bit aggravated that I wasted my time.  I sent an email to Upwork via their Help Center, but have not received a response.

I am really new to Upwork and this would have been my first "contract."

Comments appreciated.

Dee

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Some clients use the UW message room for interviews. It's fine to use Skype or Zoom or the phone or email or any channel, as long as all financial transactions are done via Upwork. Be aware that scammers love Google Hangouts (although legit clients and FLs use it, too). 

To report a client asking you to move off the platform for payment, I think you can go back to the job post and flag it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If a client ghosts you after you say that you want to get paid via the platform, then you probably dodged a bullet. In future, you can tell clients in advance that you're only willing to spend 15 minutes on a conference call before an official contract is in place.

However, a reality of freelancing is that sometimes clients will "waste" your time, and not every interview leads to a job offer.

Do they interview me in an Upwork Room or can I use Skype and Zoom?

Is there a place for me to report this to Upwork?

Some clients use the UW message room for interviews. It's fine to use Skype or Zoom or the phone or email or any channel, as long as all financial transactions are done via Upwork. Be aware that scammers love Google Hangouts (although legit clients and FLs use it, too). 

To report a client asking you to move off the platform for payment, I think you can go back to the job post and flag it. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dineen, 

I'm glad to know that you were able to identify the red flag, and followed your instinct regarding this user. Since you are new to Upwork, you may want to read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members