cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghostwriting and creative projects- WHAT DO YOU CHARGE?

Kassia K Member Since: May 12, 2014
1 of 19
I am new to oDesk, and I am extremely confused. I would like to know what people charge to ghostwrite creative stories, because the offers I am getting seem incredibly low to me. I am being offered $20.00 for 4,000 words; $100.00 for 20,000 words; $350.00 for 30,000 words. I feel certain that I am being scammed. Is this absolutely ridiculous, or is this normal? These offers are for creative writing stories which I would be creating a plot line for, writing, and editing. Help!!!
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 19
You've actually found the more lucrative ones. I've seen 50,000 words for $20 before. You've joined a good agency that is being ruined by greedy clients. Bid on small, easy projects, ignore anything creative, it simply isn't worth the effort. My approach is don't write anything at all for anyone, writing is seen as unskilled work on here and usually pays less than $1 an hour. If you like fiction, then try editing or proofreading. If you want to make money from creative writing, this really isn't the place for it.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
3 of 19
Your advice is not good. Saying that writing jobs are looked down upon here is really ludicrous. I do web content pages, and total websites, plus sales pages, landing pages, and much more. I get paid very, very well and definitely am not looked down on. I think you stating to someone they shouldn't work in an area is totally misguided. And what is it you mean by "greedy"?
4 of 19
I'm sorry, I'm trying to find some advice or suggestions in what is basically you talking about how brilliant you are.
5 of 19
P.S Anyway, she might have ethical objections to taking jobs with the words 'Adult' or 'Erotic' in them, I know I do!
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
6 of 19
If I do a freelancer search for creative writing, and filter by freelancers with profile rates of $40 an up, I get almost 10,000 freelancers. I certainly don't have objections to writing erotica. It's not my niche, but there's nothing wrong with it. If someone can make an income writing on that topic, then good for them. Certainly more ethical, in my opinion, then writing for plastic surgery clinics that encourage people to be ashamed of their bodies or writing for religious organizations that preach against abortion and homosexuality. I simply don't take those jobs. I don't go out of my way to call out others who do.
Esme S Member Since: Jan 23, 2014
7 of 19
I can tell you from what I've learnt since joining is that the more experience you have, the more money you can ask for and the more likely it is that you'll get the big projects. Often times, people asking for ghostwriters will be looking for long term working relationships, even if it isn't specified. The first job is to see how talented you are and how high the quality of work you produce is, and then you can often ask for a more reasonable fee on future jobs. Don't get disheartened in the beginning! Good luck! Edit: After looking at your profile, I strongly suggest that you lower your fee and/or add a good portfolio to your profile. Creative writing is *very* competitive, and you'll need to approach it like that. Prove that you're the best both creatively and professionally. At the moment, your profile is not very professional at all. You need to prove that you have the skills you say you have, don't talk about how you don't have any experience. Be honest, but be positive. I assume you have writing samples, so put them up and sell yourself.
Amber G Member Since: Mar 13, 2013
8 of 19
As the others said, you definitely need some writing examples on your profile, and as someone JUST starting, yeah, you do need to lower your rate. I don't know if you know what fanfiction is, but if you have any fandom you particularly like you could write some drabbles for that. It's not something I would use in a SUPER professional environment, but I think you could get away with it on Odesk. I think it also shows that you are able to take an existing character and keep them in character as well as expand upon them. You also then don't run the risk of people stealing your creative ideas because it's not something you could profit on anyway. If you choose to go the fanfiction route for now, I would start up a tumblr and allow people to request 'drabbles' from you. Again, these aren't something you could use in a more professional environment, but on Odesk you can get away with it. I certainly get away with fanart on here. Or you could just come up with some short stories. I'm sure you're a great writer with a lot of creative ideas, so sit down and whip up a few stories. Make sure they aren't things you are insanely attached to because hundreds of people will be seeing them. It's also a good idea to have some variety- Pick up a book and write a review on it, use that as one of your samples. I hope all this helps. I dabble in creative writing but not professionally at all so I don't know all the ins and outs of the field. Also I see no problem with writing erotica. Certainly anything with um... certain fantasies and fetishes is an issue, but just two people doing consensual things? Though I can understand some concern. As an artist I am willing to do smut, but honestly, it depends heavily on the client. I would willing draw it for a female, but if it's a guy I need to asses their character more. This may sound odd but I deal with a lot of 20-30 year old guys and there's some weird stuff there. The expectations guys have for smut is different than girls, and I assume this applies to writing as well.
9 of 19
As I huge fan of the brilliantly written, and decidedly adult orientated, TV shows HBO and Sky offer, I'm not against adult material itself, just certain types of it. Having a lot of time on my hands now my clients have migrated to Elance, I read the descriptions of such jobs, and notice how often words like 'fetish' appear in the title. Having been in China the last couple of years, I missed the furore surrounding 50... and was disgusted to read that it's a book about a young girl willing to become a sex-slave (It's OK though, he's rich and handsome!) to a sadist. Given what's alluded to in most of the descriptions of such jobs, I doubt we're taking empowerment here. P.S Other people may be 'very,very well-paid' but I haven't seen a single decent job in my niche for weeks !
Amber G Member Since: Mar 13, 2013
10 of 19
Yeah that's why I mentioned that with that sort of stuff, as sexist as it may be, I would be wary of male clients. As far as 50 shades of sexism goes, I tried to read a few chapters. Just... Wow. It's really upsetting. And written by a woman to boot. It's even worse than the description implies, trust me. My favorite book ever actually does have quite a few 'erotic' scenes, and all different variants of it- Forced, incest, etc, but the way it handles it is brilliant and it is beautifully empowering and wonderful and I highly suggest every female writer (well every female in general) read it. Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradly. I wish the women writing books for young girls (COUGH COUGH STEPHANIE MEYER) would read that book and take it to heart because it's truly beautiful and inspiring and empowering and I could gush about it forever. In fact I wish that the young girls reading things like Sparkly Vampires And Love Expressed Through Awkward Stares and 50 Shades Of How to Abuse Yourself would be encouraged to read Mists of Avalon instead, though the way it is written is not nearly as simplistic as those books. Anyway, apologies for the tangent. I was trying to express that I understand your concern with certain types of eroticism and I sort of rattled on. I read a lot of fanfiction as well and I've found some girls write ... forced fics where the girl starts to like it at the end, and this is common. As an artist on Deviantart I have also seen that over the years a lot more male 'artists' have joined that literally only draw fetish stuff, and because of this influx I have seen many females who post photos of themselves (often cosplay) get treated poorly because this sort of thing is the norm. Okay I am going on too many tangents so I'm just gonna stop, I apologize for that!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS