cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghostwriting and creative projects- WHAT DO YOU CHARGE?

Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
11 of 19
I'm not sure if it's the themes or the terrible standard of English in the bits I've read that offend me more, the fact that it was written by a 47 YEAR OLD obsessive fan of the Twilight books probably says it all. Still, if you haven't got any talent, a knack for publicity is always useful. Maybe if she had daughters instead of sons she's think differently about the garbage she's putting out.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
12 of 19
Have you considered your own skills? I'm well paid in copywriting because I am experienced. I continue to disagree with you on putting down others and what they choose to write about. Honestly, if it offends you then you need not deal with it, right? It doesn't bother me either way, even if it is something like "50 Shades of Grey". I'd also like to point out to you, you've only been here a year--how are you so sure there are no decent writing positions? I've landed many at $20 to $35 per hour in the past year alone. I think you just aren't filtering properly. I also have two long-term positions. So, I think you might want to reconsider your own options. By the way, I've written erotica and am not ashamed one bit.
Amber G Member Since: Mar 13, 2013
13 of 19
I think she's actually talking about erotica involving one unwilling partner being forced into things. There's NOTHING wrong with erotica, but I do take issue when one person is forced into it and 'starts to enjoy it', especially if it's in books aimed at young girls. This is a big problem right now, and it's NOT just with male/female stuff. Not sure how much you all know about anime (hopefully not much, for your own sake), but a popular genre is 'yaoi' (boy x boy), and in many of these stories one boy is not just the submissive, but actually bullied into doing this stuff, but somehow this is considered romantic. I mentioned Mists of Avalon because while it tackles incest, forced, multiple persons and homosexual erotica, it does all of it in such an empowering and beautiful way. I wish more writers would take tips from that (HINT HINT Misty if you haven't read Mists of Avalon pleeeaase do). As I think I mentioned before I'm an illustrator but I dabble in creative writing, mostly just fanfiction though, and I'm also trying my hand at erotica. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed about, but I do worry when women write the kind that is degrading- And I don't necessarily mean the fetish stuff like 50 Shades of I Wish Gilbert Godfrey Did a Reading of the ENTIRE Book and Not Just Excerpts. Actually that stories biggest issue wasn't even the fetish stuff, it was how her degradation and her emotional pain (in what little I read of it) was glorified, and how she was so desperate for love and attention that she seemed to go with even the stuff that she wasn't actually comfortable with. But anyway, I do not think she was saying there was anything wrong with Erotica, just certain kinds, and I agree with that. I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on that and because of the kind of subject it is some people may feel VERY strongly about it ( I personally do).
14 of 19
Do you mean me? :-(
Amber G Member Since: Mar 13, 2013
15 of 19
OH DEAR MY APOLOGIES!!! I just assumed that based on what we were all discussing that you were female, I am very sorry for that. Woops!
16 of 19
It's OK, I'm actually a male gender historian, so I'm fairly familiar with feminist dogma. It does raise the point that men aren't really to blame for much of this though. It's not generally men who write gossip magazines criticising celebrities for putting on a few pounds, or who spend their time categorising women in the public eye into binary definitions according to their perceived sexual conduct. It's not men who read the Daily Mail (Misogynist right-wing UK paper) either. Just as the witchcraft trials 400 years ago were predominantly attended by women, it seems that, in today's society, the worst misogynists (Ann Coulter?) often appear to be female.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
17 of 19
[quote=Amber Graves]! I just assumed that based on what we were all discussing that you were female [/quote] Hmm. And because I write tech articles and articles about military equipment?
Robin D Member Since: Aug 31, 2008
18 of 19
I've been on ODesk for over four years now and am just starting to get into the higher paying jobs. This is mainly because life has intruded in major ways that kept me from persuing a writing career full-time. Start with some articles and shorter stories. You might have to take some lower paying jobs for a little while until you build up a good rating. As you can see from my profile, I've done articles and a LOT of erotica, which I enjoy. I've yet to have a client be offensive, so don't shy away from all clients that are looking for erotica. The thing with writing good erotica is to remember that it's about the characters and how they relate to each other. I always tell potential clients that if they're looking for a writer who will just put anything down on a page in a ridiculously short of time to get paid, I'm not the writer for them. The erotic parts of the story must be character driven and make sense to the plot if you're going to keep the reader's attention. With any client, it's highly possible that if you do a good job for them on the first project, they may hire you for another and you can develop a good long-term working relationship. No matter what the genre of writing, stay true to the story. As Stephen King, my idol says, the story is all that matters. Anywho, I'll stop my rambling. I wish you luck with your projects and hope good paying jobs come your way. Smiley Happy
19 of 19
I've been suckered into editing an 'erotic' story and, while I need the money too much to cancel, I hate doing it. I have a long-term girlfriend, and used to live in a red light district (by accident!) so I'm not particularly prudish or repressed, I just find the whole thing crass, vulgar and gratuitous. If it was strong sex scenes in the context of a genuine story (Such as James Herbert or Jean M Auel) I wouldn't mind so much, but the non-sex bits are so simplistic, it's like the script to a 70's blue movie. As for the 'erotic' bits, I fee really awkward doing them. I'll complete it, I need the money for future family commitments, but 'no erotica' is definitely going on my profile when I'm done. :-(
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS