Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Given More Jobs Without Consent On Contract

Highlighted
Brian D Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
1 of 4

Hello Upwork Community, 

On a recent contract of mine, I have finished a project for a client and was offered a new project. I said I would need to figure a few things out before I can give a quote, and I was given the task for a set amount that wasn't agreed upon or before I even said I would do the project.

The thing is, I feel my skill set isn't right for this new project which I was going to bring up and probably have them find someone more suitable and now they have added this job on my contract (a job which was not agreed upon for a very low ball price as well) and am wondering what are the consequences of mutually ending this contract with the client with an open job. 

Also, what do I do about being given jobs without my consent? Does a contract allow a client to hit you up with random jobs without agreeing upon them first? 

- Brian D.

Highlighted
Brian D Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
2 of 4

I see it is done through the milestone system, did I mess up by having a contract made like this? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 4

@brian D wrote:

Also, what do I do about being given jobs without my consent? Does a contract allow a client to hit you up with random jobs without agreeing upon them first? 

- Brian D.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but it could even get more messy than this: the client could change the original job description (that your offer refers to), making it look like this new assignment/milestone was a part of the project all along. And yes, clients can assign new milestones on open contracts without discussing this with you.

Please see this thread re scope creep: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Contract-details-altered-after-starting-job/m-p/138882#U...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
4 of 4

Geez, Upwork really needs to gey on sorting that out, then. Clients shouldn't be able to edit the job description after the fact. Wow...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS