cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving A Refund Does NOT Remove Feedback

Michael J Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
11 of 15

Hi Valeria and thank you. Yes, at about 12 noon today, I was updating the ticket and checked my profile. Suddenly, the feedback had been removed, and it had to have happened within the hour that I wrote my initial post. In fact, it disappeared during an active issue on the Upwork site with JS scores. I updated the ticket, asking if the issue has been resolved, but I haven't heard back yet.

Meanwhile, I've set my profile to public again, hopeful that all is well now.

As far as the threatening messages, I did tell the first Upwork agent I chatted with, but was not aware that's something I could add to the ticket. Thank you for letting me know that!

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
12 of 15

Michael, Giving a full refund will remove just the Public feedback, not the Private feedback. Private feedback, as well as a job with no earnings will both affect your JSS. Many freelancers, such as yourself, are quick to refund thinking that, that will fix everything, and that is not the case. This client has done this before, I'm sure of it. They learned this by having prior freelancers quickly return funds. If they got away with it once, they will try it again and again. And with freelancers so eager to return funds, this will only get worst. 

13 of 15

Yes, I know it still impacts the JSS score. I'm just not sure what other choice I had. Leaving a 1-star rating at the top of my profile with a rambling, angry review seemed like an immediate turn-off for most clients. I, too, am pretty sure he's done this before. 

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
14 of 15

Michael J wrote:

Yes, I know it still impacts the JSS score. I'm just not sure what other choice I had. Leaving a 1-star rating at the top of my profile with a rambling, angry review seemed like an immediate turn-off for most clients. I, too, am pretty sure he's done this before. 

The other choice you had was to be paid for the work, time and effort you put in. If a freelancer could not finish the job because it was above their skill set or the work was so horrible then I can see a freelancer refunding the money to the client. But I am so tired of hearing the same thing over and over. The client threatened to give me a bad view, so I fully refunded. Or, the client harassed me so I have them a full refund. If a freelancer fulfilled the requirements of the contract/milestone, and produced professional, and great quality of work then to refund money because of those things is IMO ridiculous (for want of a better word). It just reinforces the notion, that this is the way to get free work, I've done it before, a few times, and it worked, and I've done it yet again, and it works just great. 

So you get 1 star, you reply to that by - I'm sorry the client had to resort to this. This client messaged me that if I didn't complete the job in half the time we originally discussed, he was going to leave me nasty feedback. Although I finished the job by the deadline that was originally discussed this client fulfilled their threat. This is a client to avoid.

A professional response, sort and right to the point, No venting, no complaining, no whining. It will be effective when other freelancers view the clients feedback. And if enough freelancers Stand Up for themselves and stop this nonsense, then clients will stop using that tactic. 

15 of 15

Soon after writing this post, Upwork corrected this issue during a tempopary shutdown of the platform. The feedback has been removed Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS