lloydinator
Member

Giving Up On Upwork

Obviously Upwork doesn't want me here. Thanks to this new Job Success Score, which continues to go down even though I recently got high scores, I officially give up. My score is now at 67%, even though I mostly have 5 star ratings. As a matter of fact, I was one of the first workers in Top Rated because I had such high scores. Upwork doesn't care. They believe ther terrible algo, which takes into account all my dead projects and ones that were ended without any rating, is the best thing ever and so whatever. Tough luck to me. It was Upwork themselves that ended a lot of the projects because clients have gone awol, and they turn around and do me like this. Can't get any jobs because clients are either only looking on the JSS, or not even paying attention to the job after posting it (which is another HUGE problem they believe they don't need to fix).

 

Don't tell me about increased competition. I know about Elance-Odesk's merger. It's not the merger that's causing it. I got offers upon offers for some time after the merger; it's the new system. They tell me, oh get more jobs and I can raise my score. HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO RAISE MY SCORE IF I CAN'T GET A JOB?!!! And it keeps going down even though I get 5 star scores, so how are you going to tell me I'm not doing enough or not doing my part? If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't have had to try so hard and end up here ranting. Instead here's a company that doesn't care about good workers. And don't get me started about the site going down all the time. Got a job recommendation in my email, all for naught, as the site was down for probably the whole night. Who knows of good alternatives I can invest my time in? (apart from Fiverr).

 

And please don't come in here with the patronizing, condescending and vague responses about the rules behind JSS that Upwork's so-called customer reps give. I don't want to see it. I know it. These rules, just like JSS, are new, and dead projects were never a problem for me since joining in 2013. I still got great projects and was able to make a living on here. They expect me to use my telepathic powers to find the clients I worked with to come back, take time out of their busy schedules, and give me a rating. With a 67% score I will just have to settle for 5 cents per hour jobs, becuase that's what my profile is worth now. Just forget aout happy clients, it's all about Upwork's terrible algo.

 

P.S. If you think I'm talking out of thin air about Upwork's vague responses, just look at this. They couldn't even bother to change the name. I offered nothing close to a suggestion in my email rant.

 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

15 REPLIES 15
jsutherland
Member


@Lloyd M wrote:

Obviously Upwork doesn't want me here. Thanks to this new Job Success Score, which continues to go down even though I recently got high scores, I officially give up. My score is now at 67%, even though I mostly have 5 star ratings. As a matter of fact, I was one of the first workers in Top Rated because I had such high scores. Upwork doesn't care. They believe ther terrible algo, which takes into account all my dead projects and ones that were ended without any rating, is the best thing ever and so whatever. Tough luck to me. It was Upwork themselves that ended a lot of the projects because clients have gone awol, and they turn around and do me like this. Can't get any jobs because clients are either only looking on the JSS, or not even paying attention to the job after posting it (which is another HUGE problem they believe they don't need to fix). Don't tell me about increased competition. I know about Elance-Odesk's merger. It's not the merger that's causing it. I got offers upon offers for some time after the merger; it's the new system. They tell me, oh get more jobs and I can raise my score. HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO RAISE MY SCORE IF I CAN'T GET A JOB?!!! And it keeps going down even though I get 5 star scores, so how are you going to tell me I'm not doing enough or not doing my part? If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't have had to try so hard and end up here ranting. Instead here's a company that doesn't care about good workers. And don't get me started about the site going down all the time. Got a job recommendation in my email, all for naught, as the site was down for probably the whole night. Who knows of good alternatives I can invest my time in? (apart from Fiverr).

 

And please don't come in here with the patronizing, condescending and vague responses about the rules behind JSS that Upwork's so-called customer reps give. I don't want to see it. I know it. These rules, just like JSS, are new, and dead projects were never a problem for me since joining in 2013. I still got great projects and was able to make a living on here. They expect me to use my telepathic powers to find the clients I worked with to come back, take time out of their busy schedules, and give me a rating. With a 67% score I will just have to settle for 5 cents per hour jobs, becuase that's what my profile is worth now. Just forget aout happy clients, it's all about Upwork's terrible algo.

 

P.S. If you think I'm talking out of thin air about Upwork's vague responses, just look at this. They couldn't even bother to change the name. I offered nothing close to a suggestion in my email rant.


I have seen literally hundreds of freelancers with this problem, and IT IS a problem. The penalities are too severe and very hard to recover from.

 

On top of this, the massive amount of time the site has been down this week will also affect Job Success Scores. If you are a moderator and don't believe this, think again.

-

Job Closes and you're waitng for feedback. Client trys to log in and can't. Gives up and leaves no feedback.

 

     Result - Lower JSS

 

Job Closes and after numerous downtime and other issues the client is angry and takes it on you, with his feedback. He can't leave feedback for Upwork, so you get punished.

 

    Result = Lower JSS

 

 Missed Deadlines - The system was down and you missed a deadline. The client is angry, missed their own deadling and so you get blamed.

 

    Result = Lower JSS

 

I could go on but you get the drift. Upwork underperforms and our JSS goes down.

 I second that!!! The job success score is vague and ridiculous. I went from Top-Rated (90% job score) to 69 % in less than 2 months, yet I have clients who are sending me bonuses after a project and my ratings are still good. I think it`s a skim to make it harder for freelancers to secure jobs.

Yep from 100 to 90 to 87 to 72 to 67 in just under 3-4 months. Of course the 5 star system was abused, which is why they needed a new system. But this system is TERRIBLE! Upwork needs some serious competition man so they can wake up and smell the coffee.

 

Oh and I realize a mod deleted the screenshot I took of an email that was sent to me from upwork "customer service". I want to know how that breaks community rules. I'm curious. If I don't get an answer I'm posting it again. I need people to really understand how terrible this place is getting.


@Lloyd M wrote:

 

Oh and I realize a mod deleted the screenshot I took of an email that was sent to me from upwork "customer service". I want to know how that breaks community rules. I'm curious. If I don't get an answer I'm posting it again. I need people to really understand how terrible this place is getting.


 I saw it before they deleted it, and it's a shame because people need to realize how ineffective customer support truly is. Spelling and grammar errors, wrong name, nonsense advice - I would say less than half my tickets have been handled professionally, so I sympathize.

 

I think it's a violation to share private communication, even from support. I don't understand why, but I'm guessing that's why they deleted it.

I think you'll find they will have to change it as they as losing a boatload of excellent freelancers who stumbled onto a bad client or two and suffered low job scores. There only option was to go somewhere else. You can't keep losing top talent forever.

I posted four (4) Support requests last week, for email notifications that haven't been arriving in my inbox.

 

Not a single one of them was answered.

 

This site is a MESS.

 

And the beat goes on......

 

Blessings,

🙂

Sam Severn

When this place still used to be oDesk, all of my customer support tickets were handled promptly and professionally. These days, I don't even bother to write to them. Some kind of cost-optimizing has been certainly done..
And people deleting exhibits showing the truth makes me think of organized crime methods, as in those movies.


@Gabor K wrote:

When this place still used to be oDesk, all of my customer support tickets were handled promptly and professionally. These days, I don't even bother to write to them. Some kind of cost-optimizing has been certainly done..
And people deleting exhibits showing the truth makes me think of organized crime methods, as in those movies.


Man I miss the days of being able to chat in and get my queries responded to promptly. Customer care wasn't perfect but it was really good. Now? Oh man. Copypasta is all I see in emails that I have to wait for wayyyyyyyy too long.

 


@Lisa W wrote:

@Lloyd M wrote:

 

Oh and I realize a mod deleted the screenshot I took of an email that was sent to me from upwork "customer service". I want to know how that breaks community rules. I'm curious. If I don't get an answer I'm posting it again. I need people to really understand how terrible this place is getting.


 I saw it before they deleted it, and it's a shame because people need to realize how ineffective customer support truly is. Spelling and grammar errors, wrong name, nonsense advice - I would say less than half my tickets have been handled professionally, so I sympathize.

 

I think it's a violation to share private communication, even from support. I don't understand why, but I'm guessing that's why they deleted it.



Yeah she responded and apparently that's the reason why it was deleted. I'm just glad someone else caught it before it was gone. 

barronrandall
Member

Spot on and me too.

 

I currently have a client who is holding their review over my head in order to get me to do more work, even though I've completed everything that was in the contract. I've contacted Upwork and all I got was the standard, "Hey don't give up! Try giving your customer great service next time!" BS cookie cutter response.

 

....and to think we give up 10% of our earnings before taxes for this.

"....and to think we give up 10% of our earnings before taxes for this."

 

Second that one.

Well, oDesk/Upwork has changed my life, literally. From a poor rickshaw rider in Budapest, I was able to become a "full-time" freelance translator. For this, I think, they deserved that 10%. But since this is a service fee -and accounted as such-, we expect a quality service in exchange. Sure, some bugs do happen everywhere, but this is getting over the fence. 

The clients on this site sure know how to beat the system, scam the contractors and get free work. I'm totally surprised, I sure would think that if you have clear and percise documentation on this, that Upwork would take this clients THREATS seriously and do somethin gabout it. Either release the funds in escrow to you, and close/suspend this clients account. Or prevent any feedback from this clent at all.

 

I don't understand why clients can demand more work then what was documents in the project agreement/contract that's drawn up by a contrator and then if they don't get that extra free work, threaten bad feedback AND get away with it because the staff on this site won't do a d(edited by myself) thing about it.  And I've been told that this site doesn't favor clients......


@Randall B wrote:

Spot on and me too.

 

I currently have a client who is holding their review over my head in order to get me to do more work, even though I've completed everything that was in the contract. I've contacted Upwork and all I got was the standard, "Hey don't give up! Try giving your customer great service next time!" BS cookie cutter response.

 

....and to think we give up 10% of our earnings before taxes for this.

 

Do you have documentation that your client threatened to give you bad feedback unless you do free work?

 

It's against ToS to do free work, and I'm pretty sure the client would be penalized for this. 

"Do you have documentation that your client threatened to give you bad feedback unless you do free work?"

 

Mariska,

 

Several months ago, a client wrote to me in the workroom (on Elance) that he is literally "threatening me" to provide a bad review if I don't do more work for him. I did not accept, reported that to Elance and they confirmed the message where he was threatening me. They ended up the contract because clients cannot force contractors to work for free beyond what's been discussed in the official terms, but then the client gave me the only bad review I ever received in my life-time on Elance, and customer support said they cannot do anything about a client's review because that's a place for him to leave his honest thoughts. They said I can leave my honest thoughts in return and can further explain my point of view in a reponse to his review on my profile.

 

To make a long story short, Upwork will do anything to keep their clients. Taking action against them will never happen because in their vision: "clients have the money". However, they missed a very important part of the puzzle here: "We have the brains".

 

Life is good though 🙂

 

Best regards,

Wassim

Yes, lots of great programmers have come here, got disgusted and left. Where do they go? I hope some of them are building a new and improved Elance. After all, who knows best how a site like this should work but the people that have been using it and discovering needed changes. I wish I could do it but it is beyond my capability.