🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Giving a REFUND to a CLIENT so that I can get...
Page options
6e2db39c
Community Member

Giving a REFUND to a CLIENT so that I can get a NEGATIVE REVIEW REMOVED

Hello Dear Upworkers! 

I've been on Upwork since December and have completed over 8 jobs. All my clients were satisified but there is this one client who left me a negative 1.9 star feedback because I decided that I no longer want to work with him. I used to get lots of messages from clients before the review but now, I can see on my stats that my profile is being noticed but clients are scared away because of that review (probably) 

Therfore, I'm going to give him a full refund. But the question is: will the feedback be removed automatically? If not, how can I contact the customer support since I'm unable to find a link or email to CS. 

Thank you for your time.

Best regards!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Rochdi,

I checked and it looks like you have already issue a refund to your client. Once you submit a refund,

• Upwork creates a credit on your client's account and a debit on your account for the balance of the refund
  • The credit becomes available on the client's account right away
  • The refunded amount (including refunded fees) is deducted from your lifetime earnings with the client for determining your relationship’s service fee

Here's the help article to learn more. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
JoanneP

Hi Rochdi, 

If you refund the client in full, the review and the contract will not show in your work history.

~ Joanne
Upwork
6e2db39c
Community Member

Thank you Joanne. 

When I want to refund the $215 to the client, the system says that my balance will be debited $172 (Includes credit for Upwork service fee). So to refund the $215 should I modify the milestones to make it $215 ( meaning with the credit for upwork service fee included, i'll have to refund exactly $258) or should I leave it as it is. Please see screenshot to understand. 

Thank you so much

Hi Rochdi,

I checked and it looks like you have already issue a refund to your client. Once you submit a refund,

• Upwork creates a credit on your client's account and a debit on your account for the balance of the refund
  • The credit becomes available on the client's account right away
  • The refunded amount (including refunded fees) is deducted from your lifetime earnings with the client for determining your relationship’s service fee

Here's the help article to learn more. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
6e2db39c
Community Member

Thank you so much! 

Best regards

Hi Joanne, can you help me. I have refunded a client. But feedback is still there. Can you tell me how this will affect my account? Also, the refunded amount was low. Will low amount jobs will have the same impact as other big amount jobs when refunding?

Santosh S wrote:

I have refunded a client. But feedback is still there. 

It'll take a day or two to vanish. As it's been there since September, it being there another day or two doesn't really matter, does it?

Santosh S wrote:

Can you tell me how this will affect my account? 

The refund has no effect at all.

Hi Petra, my negative feedback vanished within 1-2 days. But here is my query. Previously when I had that negative feedback in my profile it affected my JSS which was 89% and later after some time it went to 94% and 95%.  But today after 2 weeks of removing my negative feedback by refunding the client my JSS score is 89% again. Why is that?

Santosh S wrote:

But today after 2 weeks of removing my negative feedback by refunding the client my JSS score is 89% again. Why is that?

Because refunding only removes the visible feedback, it does not affect the impact of the contract's private feedback on the JSS.

Yes. But my question is why did my JSS score fluctuated from 89% to 95% to 89% again?. I haven't been involved in any new job since.

9bf72731
Community Member

Hi Joanne,
I'm in a similar situation and can you help me?
I'm stuck with a difficult client and I don't want to continue working with her. She never approved the milestone despite recieving the work on time and even after a revision. She's now asking to re-do it from scratch and I can tell she won't still be satisfied. I want to refund her (it's still in escrow) Would my JSS be hurt?

Hi Mahnoor,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the client. I'd like to clarify that the outcome of a contract where no money was paid or all money was refunded removes the visible feedback, but may still be included in your JSS. Also, note that if you feel those revisions are not warranted and you completed the requested task, you may dispute the non-release of that milestone payment. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9bf72731
Community Member

There's no feedback yet because the milestone hasn't been approved. It's just that I can forsee that she's difficult and won't leave a great feedback so I just want to end the contract and refund the money. How would that impact JSS?
petra_r
Community Member

Mahnoor R wrote:
 I just want to end the contract and refund the money. How would that impact JSS?

If the client leaves good or no private feedback: Not at all

If the client leaves poor private feedback; It would affect your JSS

a_lipsey
Community Member

Rochdi, while the review will be removed, the private feedback will still impact your JSS. So your JSS will not change. Is it really worth it to remove it then? 

Hey Amanda, the job success score will be fixed since I have few contracts right now that I'll finish and which will improve my JSS. However, a long negative feedback like his - would make me suffer to get clients for sure ( I can see that from stats). I believe it's worth it 😕 

Amanda, did you actually see that mile-long piece of poetry? Ends with "I recommend to stay away from Rais as far as possible." 😬

Rochdi, I agree. Remove it. This single review negates too many good ones. Just the sheer length of it. 🙄

Remove it, finish the next projects extra well, and you'll be soon back at 100% JSS. Don't worry about it too much, these things can happen, so just keep going.

Best of luck! 👍

Thank you for the kind comments. It is now removed 🙏🏻
df602768
Community Member

Hi Rochdi,

In my opinion, you shouldn't refund the client to remove the feedback.

The problem with that is that when refunding, you do get your negative feedback removed, BUT your JSS takes a HUGE hit.

When I say HUGE, I mean it. You might see a decrease of up to five percent or more.

Clients MIGHT not like a freelancer with one negative review, but they will not most definitely LIKE a freelancer with a 79% JSS.

UPDATE

After reading the feedback, I think you have to address the issues that the client raised.

petra_r
Community Member

Konstantinos wrote:

The problem with that is that when refunding, you do get your negative feedback removed, BUT your JSS takes a HUGE hit.

The effect of the contract on the JSS is the exact same whether he refunds or not.

In my opinion, you shouldn't refund the client to remove the feedback.

Considering he's already refunded, that's pointless.

My JSS already decreases to 85%. So removing the negative feedback is better than having both a negative JSS and feedback. I know that this might sound cliché but I promise that his comment was full of lies and thankfully have proof. He kept on using my articles even after the refund although he said that mt English is weak etc...
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members