cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving a refund on active milestone but unresponsive client??

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Monique L Member Since: Sep 23, 2017
1 of 7

Hello, I was working with one client who assigned me a 3rd milestone but then I think left the company. They'd said someone else would be getting in touch with me but they haven't.

I think I read somewhere that milestones that haven't been approved within 3 months automatically get refunded back?

I'm more than happy to do the work, but it's just not there to do and I thought someone would have been in touch with me by now. Do I give a refund and close the job out? It's been over two months since this milestone was assigned. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

Monique, if you end the contract the money goes back to the client automatically.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

Oh ok, I thought I had to do a refund first. Thanks. 

Just feel bad closing the contract when they may still need me, but if they never get in touch there is no point keeping it open. The colleague that was supposed to get in touch might not be able to get in to the Upwork account. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7

This is not a complicated issue.

If somebody hired me to do a task, and funded escrow, and I did the task...

Then I submit the work using the green "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

Simple.

If the client does not respond, then I will get paid automatically.

I don't ask for a client's permission first before submitting the work.

If I have NOT done the work, and I want to close the contract, then I will close the contract, which means refunding the money in escrow.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 7

Yes I know how to submit request for payment... I've been working on here a while but thanks. My question was was it ok to just refund the money due to not hearing from the client as I haven't been in this situation before. It's not that I don't want to do the work, I literally can't because of something that's changed on their end and was waiting further instructions, to which I have not had. I've sent them another message, and if I don't hear back within a couple of days I'll close the contract. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 7

re: "My question was was it ok to just refund the money due to not hearing from the client as I haven't been in this situation before. It's not that I don't want to do the work, I literally can't because of something that's changed on their end and was waiting further instructions, to which I have not had. I've sent them another message, and if I don't hear back within a couple of days I'll close the contract."

It was definitely okay to refund the money.

You did the right thing.

You didn't do the task, so it was right to refund the money.

You shouldn't worry about this at all.

You are NOT the project manager or project owner. Somebody at their company changed things so that you are unable to finish the work. You shouldn't feel any responsibility at all for making sure this project is completed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 7

Thanks Preston, appreciate your response - one of my biggest flaws is caring too much sometimes! Definitely out of my control so will let it go... thanks!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS