🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Giving full refund to the client can help in ...
Page options
avirockx007
Community Member

Giving full refund to the client can help in removing the feedback?

Hey Team Upwork,

Feedback on my first job is manipulating my profile. If someone/future client looks into my profile he wouldn't hire me due to feedback. I have completed the job successfully and there were no issues left in it, but the client didn't give me 5-star feedback. It has been almost 2 months since the job has ended. Can I refund the client so that the feedback could be removed? I am really annoyed by this feedback. 

Thanks in advance.

Awais N.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear Petra, 

I am not mixing things up, I have made different treads to clear things up. You said that still, you won't get a RTS badge after even refunding the money. Ummm, this is a different topic. When it comes to RTS, yup I am worried about it because I want to have that badge by all means because I think we all are working hard to get our self a better place here on Upwork or outside Upwork. So, I hope it clear things up. 

By the way thanks for the reply. 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Yes, you can refund it completely and then the feedback won't show - it will most likely affect your JSS score when you get one, though. How bad is the feedback, though? I can't see your profile, but it sounds like you think the feedback is bad only because it was less than 5 stars?

Hi Christine,

It's about 4.25. It isn't a good score as other community gurus have stated(No Names) :). So I want this to be removed from my profile. 

You said that it will affect my JSS? After removing/giving a full refund. Will, it still hurt my JSS? :'(

Awais N wrote:

Hi Christine,

It's about 4.25. It isn't a good score as other community gurus have stated(No Names) :). So I want this to be removed from my profile. 

You said that it will affect my JSS? After removing/giving a full refund. Will, it still hurt my JSS? :'(

4.25 is nothing to worry about, unless there was also extremely negative written feedback (in which case, yes, then I would refund, if I were you). It's not logical to expect every client to give you a perfect 5-star rating. And yes, it will still affect your JSS even if you give a full refund - it will be a "nothing paid" contract, and there will still be negative private feedback. The stars don't have much impact.

What is more important how much is your "Clients who would recommend you" percentage in the Stats section? That will tell you if the feedback had a bad private score. 

Now, 4.25 is not that bad if the client was honest and didn't leave a negative private feedback (which is rare :D). But still, never return the money if you've successfully finished the job. It will not help your JSS and you earned it, right? 

Also, if you want people to help you, you should set your profile to public, as we can't see it. Furthermore, it strikes me why would anyone want to keep their profile on private with the intention of making money. 

Ah, Thanks Filip for your honest opinion. Actually, I am an old member of Upwork as well I didn't endorse myself working on this platform as I had other objectives in those days. So, didn't have time for it. Now, started to work/earn on it on regular basis. So, it was my first job on which the client didn't give me negative feedback in private but the feedback was below 5-star ratings (4.25) as a new-starter, people/client view your profile before hiring & this is the basic reason which I do not like about my feedback on my profile because in my view of thinking people wouldn't hire me after going through the feedback.

That hurts, isn't it? 😞

I have hidden my profile due to some other reason but I shall open it for public soon. 🙂

Awais N wrote:

So, it was my first job on which the client didn't give me negative feedback in private

How do you know that?

Clients leave public feedback (the stars and comments) and private feedback, which freelancers do not see. The latter is what drives the JSS.

Okay, Petra. I got your point. 🙂

Petra R wrote:

Awais N wrote:

So, it was my first job on which the client didn't give me negative feedback in private

How do you know that?

Clients leave public feedback (the stars and comments) and private feedback, which freelancers do not see. The latter is what drives the JSS.

We can be fairly certain if the "Clients that will recommend you" score goes down after the feedback.

Filip K wrote:

How do you know that?

We can be fairly certain if the "Clients that will recommend you" score goes down after the feedback.

No, we can't. He's only done one contract so doesn't have that metric yet and 2. it only updates once every X (believed to be 5) completed contracts, so it doesn't help pinpoint which contract did it.

Of course freelancers with a bit of sensitivity can usually figure out just how happy (or not) a client was when the contract closed.

Awais N wrote:

It's about 4.25. It isn't a good score as other community gurus have stated(No Names) :).'(

It's not a "bad" feedback, but the client leaving a 3 for quality isn't exactly great either.

Nobody said it was bad feedback, you are twisting things. You asked about getting a Rising Talent Status- Normally people get the RTS only with a flawless or near flawless history.

The contract's effect on your future JSS is already a done deal. Personally I would not refund it. You still won't get a Rising Talent Badge whether the contract shows on your profile or not.

Dear Petra, 

I am not mixing things up, I have made different treads to clear things up. You said that still, you won't get a RTS badge after even refunding the money. Ummm, this is a different topic. When it comes to RTS, yup I am worried about it because I want to have that badge by all means because I think we all are working hard to get our self a better place here on Upwork or outside Upwork. So, I hope it clear things up. 

By the way thanks for the reply. 🙂

Awais N wrote:

When it comes to RTS, yup I am worried about it because I want to have that badge by all means

You won't get it.

bukyyy
Community Member

I really wonder when freelancers started to refund money to manipulate reviews. Please enjoy the money you worked for! Improve the quality of your proposals and your work as the feedback has clearly stated. You're desperate for a rising star badge, let me tell you something: IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!

Bukola, 

Thanks for the suggestion. I am just worried about my profile in the long run. RTS is something that shall represent my work quality, ability, professionalism, etc. This is my way of thinking about it.

By the way, thank you.

Haha okay, Ma'am. 

Thank you. 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members