cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail google hangout ID

Sandra T Member Since: Jun 11, 2018
1 of 15

I am new to Upwork and received my first interview request.  They sent me a message asking that I get a Gmail Google Hangout ID and enter some other information to get job briefings and an interview.  

I am not familiar with a Gmail Google Hangout ID and could not find any information on Upwork regarding this except in the community forum.  It said they thought it was a scam.  But the info about the client shows payment verification and that they have been with Upwork since 2016.   

From what I understand, this should be a good client.  Could someone please verify if I am correct?  If I am, how do I go about getting Gmail Google Hangout ID?

Thank you.

Sandy 
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
2 of 15

Hi Sandra, and welcome to the community.

Please note that you shared very sensitive information about your client, so you're needing to first to edit your post and remove the contact information, names and any other indications about your client since this is against the ToS of the community.

I can see you asked multiple questions here, but let me briefly explain it to you:

- Google Hangouts is a communication service provided by Google that allows people to speak or video call each other for personal and business needs. This has nothing to do with Upwork, neither do they require to explain to you how a third-party work, but you can think of it like Skype. Generally speaking, when you have a Google Account then you should have a Hangouts account. Your Hangout ID would be your Gmail email address (or Gsuite) depending on how you set up your email. You can access Hangouts in the browser by visiting this link.

- It is very complicated to answer whether this job is a scam or not. You should not rely on client's good reputation only, and you should be cautious when you're communicating off-platform. The main rule of thumb is: Never accept to be paid outside of the platform, and make sure to document your agreement on Upwork and to have a valid contract before you start working, and for the client to have a valid payment source on file for hourly jobs, and to have at least the first agreed on milestone funded if this is a fixed-price job.

Best regards,
Wassim

3 of 15

Thank you for you help.  I did go in and edit my post.  So is Gmail Google Hangout an "off-platform communication" area not under Upwork?

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
4 of 15

@Sandra T wrote:

Thank you for you help.  I did go in and edit my post.  So is Gmail Google Hangout an "off-platform communication" area not under Upwork?

Yes. There is no need to leave UW at this point.

5 of 15

Thank you.  This is just a little confusing since I found the job post on Upwork and applied through Upwork.

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
6 of 15

Sandra: It is called Google Hangouts. So that's a Google-owned communication service. Keep in mind that it's OK to communicate with your client off-platform if they requested it, as long as you know what you're doing. If you're in wonder, then just let them know that you prefer to keep the communication through Upwork. You may also advise them that Audio and Video calls are available via Upwork Messaging.

7 of 15

Thank you!!

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
BEST ANSWER
8 of 15

1. NEVER EVER share names, email address, or any other contact information in the community.

Did you apply for a job or did they approach you? Scammers often are looking for new freeelancers.

If you want to know, what I think:

A "Executive Vice President And Chief Legal Officer" (searching for the name you shared) of a NASDAQ company does not bother to communicate with a freelancer like you.

9 of 15

I applied for a job posted on Upwork.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 15

Hi Sandra, 

Please know that actions have been taken against the client you have mentioned for a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. 

I would recommend that you check the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS