Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from bad to worse

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
31 of 60

@Sanja D wrote:

Well - I can tell you that's not the case. There are no big budget jobs in US only design projects.
There were some big budgets on print projects, however - and, of course, those are not awarded (yet).

"Big budget" may be subjective, Sanja. The last time this issue arose, the designers in the thread were talking about the vast majority of projects being $10 or $20.

When I search for design projects, the fixed price jobs I see vary from $100 to $5000. Those rates may or may not be decent for the work described--I'm not qualified to tell--but they're certainly nowhere near the $10-20 non-US freelancers have reported.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
32 of 60

Tiffany, I've gotten invitations for several $500+ jobs recently, so your assessment is accurate from my seat. 

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
33 of 60

You're right, Tiffany. Those big budget projects I was talking about are $2000 + projects for 20-24 page booklets. I saw 2-3 of those recently, but it doesn't mean anything since projects were not awarded. 

Problem is - there are (and always will be) freelancers are willing to work for next to nothing. I have no clue how they manage to survive, lol. Home bills aside, there are software licenses that have to be paid every month, in my case that's around $250. 

rolludesig
Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
34 of 60

yeah may be but one has to take into fact that and as mentioned before bulk of jobs are getting expired without anyone being choosen and i am not the only one to complain about it..

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
35 of 60

@Rahul V wrote:

yeah may be but one has to take into fact that and as mentioned before bulk of jobs are getting expired without anyone being choosen and i am not the only one to complain about it..

People have been complaining about that for as long as I've been on Upwork, though (just over a year and a half), so that's apparently not a change.

silw
Community Guru
Aron H Member Since: Mar 29, 2017
36 of 60

Being an Illustrator myself I can't relate to this problem.

I reject the offers that are prized too low and work on the ones that are prized to my wishing.

The past 2 months have been the greatest I had so far.

I also got contacted outside of upwork by people who have seen my website and my upwork page.

I was also able to take half the month off.

Joining upwork was the best decision to me so far, so i am sorry to say:

It's not the platform.

moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
37 of 60

I'm not an illustrator, but I have been here for years and people have always complained about low paying jobs. I also know quite a few people personally that have signed up, as writers, only to give up after a couple of days due to a percieved lack of jobs that pay well enough. 

There's still enough out there, though. Sometimes when searching I my not find a thing for 2-3 days. I keep going though and it's usually not long before I get something. 

atreglia
Community Guru
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
38 of 60

Upwork is not fullfilling it's promises, June, July and now August have been bad, more and more underpaid job are being posted from eastern countries, and now I can see that US client are immitating them. 

This is a real problem and speaks to many other issues within the U.S. of which this forum is not for.

Since I started here in January, July was the absolute worst with the U.S. leading the way in embarrassingly low paying jobs.  Speaking only for Photoshop and only for U.S. clients, I do not believe that the U.S. Freelancer Only option is the problem, greed and exploitation are.  I say this because spoken and written English are not typically needed for these jobs and Upwork provides the perfect and legal vehicle for U.S. clients to capitalize on such a vast global labor market.  

rolludesig
Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
39 of 60

totally agree and for this low paying job issue we freelancers are somewhat responsible as well..i am not sure how these low bidders manage thier expenses while bidding $3-5 per hour..

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
40 of 60

I wish I could draw a fraction of what Pascal or Aron can. There is absolutely no reason why Pascal can't earn a good living only doing jobs here on Upwork. He might be missing out good jobs, applying to wrong ones or maybe his applications don't reflect his worth. I have passive income and some outside clients and I make a decent amount here even though I can't draw like them. It always surprises me to see talented people like Pascal not earning large sums.

I don't complain about low quality jobs because I filter them out in my searches. I don't see them. If I don't want low budget jobs I just set a lowest price on fixed jobs and expert on  hourly, use minus operative for countries I don't want and see a clean, high quality job list every time I load the site. Yes I might be missing out some very good opportunities and placeholder budgets but it is worth it.

Also Pascal says he will move on. He doesn't need to move on, he can apply to jobs on more than one site. Nobody is exclusive to Upwork. He can make a search string with whatever he wants and checks that search results twice a day here,  twice a day there and apply only to the jobs that are worth the connects. This doom and gloom is just unnecessary if you ask me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS