Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from bad to worse

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
41 of 60

When I started here, there was many storyboards job per week and now there isn't much anymore, that's what I do "storyboards", for TV commercial, movies etc...I am not a graphic designer, I don't do graphics for web sites, I am good at freehand drawings and Background Matte paintings, All I do in the morning is scrolling the Storyboard job page and the Illustration job page with minimal result, I want to work!!! not scrolling all day?? is that the life of a freelancer ?? it's ridiculous and I am done with these boring mornings, Oh there are some jobs at 25$ or 50$ from far eastern countries, I can understand that their economy is at that level but here I can't live whit that kind of money.

So i am preparing a new portfolio and will apply for real jobs in the city,

Working at home like I was dreaming of is almost over, I am not closing my account. Maybe things will be better later but one thing is sure I am done with that mouse wheel half a day, I am going back to my brushes and pens!! 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
42 of 60

Pascal, it is not your work, which is absolutely amazing.

Maybe, and please don't take this the wrong way, you could do a better job at selling yourself. 

I didn't get interested until I got to your portfolio. The rub is, most clients won't get that far. Most clients may never even open your profile.

in the preview, all a client sees is the first line. So your prospective clients (who are looking for an artist) see 

I reside in Montreal, though I am a French native. As far back as I can remember, my hand was

How is that the most important thing a client looking for an awesome artist like you needs to be told?

Think about it....

The most fantastic product in the world will not be bought if it isn't seen by buyers....

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
43 of 60

@Petra R wrote:

I reside in Montreal, though I am a French native. As far back as I can remember, my hand was

Yes, that sentence has to go but the rest of the overview is good.

And frak, this portfolio is absolutely amazing. I mean seriously. I'm not fan of everything but the Matte Paintings! Frak, that's good dope.

Clients who prefer hiring some $5/hour half-artist and not someone like Pascal deserve what they get.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lascap_01
Community Guru
44 of 60

Good point i will update that sentence

thanks guys

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
45 of 60

Diversify, diversify, diversify!

Of course, Upwork does not want us to do that, and has introduced its latest rollout of privatizing freelancers' accounts if they earn nothing in one month.

This does not seem to extend to totally dormant freelancers, whether they have worked or not, whose accounts date back to 20voetsack (as some of us  in Southern Africa might say) and who still feature largely in any  random search (indeed that is all you can do) on the site.

silw
Community Guru
Aron H Member Since: Mar 29, 2017
46 of 60

@Pascal S

Don't take this personal, and I don't mean it negatively: but take into consideration to get rid of the weaker images in your portfolio.

The 2d Helicopter drawing offers some perspective errors that are fundamental.

High paying clients, in general, send experts with expert knowledge who are very often artists themselves.

Those people see the errors at once and maybe turn down the option to contact you.

With other words: If I'd be an art director searching for an artist to do storyboard work, I wouldn't hire you, simply because of that helicopter. It offers me potential problems that might come up that I don't want to risk, even though your storyboard pieces look great and professional!

Your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece.

Storyboarding is a really small niche. Even the biggest projects only have a handful of storyboard artists, and to get one of those in the regular job market already is a tough task.

Even though you already mentioned you want to do storyboard work, it might be worth considering to expand your profile to all sorts of graphic design jobs.

Some jobs might be a bit boring, others offer the chance to expand your expertise and skillset within a paid job-situation, which is basically an ultimative win-win situation.

Again, I don't mean it negatively, I am not a native speaker so I might lack the words to make it sound more positive.

lascap_01
Community Guru
47 of 60

@Aron H wrote:

@Pascal S

With other words: If I'd be an art director searching for an artist to do storyboard work, I wouldn't hire you, simply because of that helicopter. It offers me potential problems that might come up that I don't want to risk, even though your storyboard pieces look great and professional!

Your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

WOW my friend... It's clear, you are not an art director! and I think you are wrong all the way... 

first you don't know much about storyboarding obviously,  the main asset of a good storyboard is the emotion and only the emotion, then it's the hability and knowledge of the camera settings and positions. It's NOT the quality of the drawing. A nice storyboard can be a very bad storyboard. It must serve only one purpose: the script! Many directors use only as a tool, not a peice of art.

Most of my Upwork clients start thier reply messages by: your work is the best i saw from all the propositions and candidates. So don't give me a lesson on something you know nothing about. 

Also you should know that clients don't look at the profile much, they only look at the files that matches what they are looking for and they mostly look only at the files we attached to our proposition, for I know that by experience. I think my portfolio is fine as is and that helicopter is the last image of my PF, sorry it's not a very solid argument.

I think I should change my text presentation because yes... it's a bit too long and not very efficient, that I agree.

Also To Nichola L

sorry I didin't start on Upwork to diversify. Storyboarding and matte painting is my discipline and that's it.

If it's not working for me because of client lacking on Upwork, I will find myself a job in the city! so thanks but no thanks Smiley Happy

I appriciate all advices that are in direct relation with what I originaly posted on this forum, 

Thank you

petra_r
Community Guru
48 of 60

.....  uh Uh ...... Paintbrushes at dawn ..................

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
49 of 60

It is interesting how often reading the forums impacts hiring decisions.

petra_r
Community Guru
50 of 60

@Tiffany S wrote:

It is interesting how often reading the forums impacts hiring decisions.

I'm doomed then.

DOOMED.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS