🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Good clients who don't want to let me go.
Page options
chepper
Community Member

Good clients who don't want to let me go.

Hey Team, I love Upwork and my Clients, I have two hourly jobs and an active milestone job. I have submitted the job and my clients have left the contracts open.
Scenario: there's no pending job but let me hold on to this fellow.

Questions:
1. Does this affect my ability to secure other hourly and milestone jobs?
2. what does Upwork advise us regarding such situations?
3. How do I deal with such great clients?
4. Please, give me insight on how I can solve this.

Thanks in Advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

Two ways you can handle this:

1) Tell the client that if they want to leave the contract open for when they have more work, that's fine. 

2) Ask the client to go ahead and close out the contract and that you can easily open a new one when they're ready to give you more.

Assuming they leave a good review, #2 should help your JSS.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
martina_plaschka
Community Member

1. Two open jobs? No.

2. To do nothing.

3. You do nothing.

4. Nothing to solve here.

This is not a problem. Your problem is a low JSS. 

petra_r
Community Member

Ejiofor C wrote:

Scenario: there's no pending job but let me hold on to this fellow.

Who told you that this is the reason?

Ejiofor C wrote:

1. Does this affect my ability to secure other hourly and milestone jobs?
2. what does Upwork advise us regarding such situations?
3. How do I deal with such great clients?
4. Please, give me insight on how I can solve this.

1. No, but your incredibly low JSS probably will

2. To close the contracts yourself if the clients are unresponsive and some time has passed

3. You ask them once (!) whether they have anything else that you can help you with and if not, would they close the contract. If you get no response, close the contract yourself after another couple of weeks or so.

4. Nothing to solve. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

chepper
Community Member

5. Yes, I'm originally from Equatorial Guinea. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

wescowley
Community Member

Two ways you can handle this:

1) Tell the client that if they want to leave the contract open for when they have more work, that's fine. 

2) Ask the client to go ahead and close out the contract and that you can easily open a new one when they're ready to give you more.

Assuming they leave a good review, #2 should help your JSS.

tagrendy
Community Member

I noticed your JSS says 63% but the progress bar is filled only to 25% - strange. Maybe you can get that fixed.

If you finish a project, ask your client to close it and let them know you'll be available if they want to work with you again in the future. 

Tatevik G wrote:

I noticed your JSS says 63% but the progress bar is filled only to 25% - strange. Maybe you can get that fixed.

If you finish a project, ask your client to close it and let them know you'll be available if they want to work with you again in the future. 

It used to be that JSS was only displayed if above 50%, so the line represented 50% to 100%, and it still does. 

Now they display all JSS, no matter how low, but the ones below 50% don't have a corresponding line. Guess the couldn't make that work correctly 😉

Martina P wrote: so the line represented 50% to 100%, and it still does.

Nope. The blue line never did that and doesn't now.  It's how good or bad the JSS is compared to average. So if someone shows to have 25% filled line, that means that 75% of all other freelancers have a better JSS.

I barely noticed the blue line at 25% despite my JSS score reading 63%. Is this an upwork mistake or something with my fairly low JSS score?

petra_r
Community Member

Ejiofor C wrote:

I barely noticed the blue line at 25% despite my JSS score reading 63%. Is this an upwork mistake or something with my fairly low JSS score?

It's how good or bad your JSS is compared to average. So if yours shows as a 25% filled line, that means that 75% of all other freelancers with a JSS have a better JSS.

63% isn't "fairly low" - it's very low.

chepper
Community Member

Thank you Petra, nothing is permanent because there is always room for improvement. I was below 40%, I'm on my way to 90% plus. Have a great 2022 ahead answering my questions.

Ejiofor C wrote:

It's completely irrelevant how the line is displayed. It does not change the percentage. 

petra_r
Community Member

The blue bar is not trying to visually represent the JSS, it is meant to show where the person's JSS is in comparison to the average of the marketplace.

tagrendy
Community Member

Oh! Makes sense now. How do you know everything girl 🥴

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths