Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quoting an Instructor of mine

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
11 of 42
Quoting an Instructor of mine for Computer Programming decades ago. GIGO-Garbage In, Garbage Out.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
12 of 42
I did a bit more digging about this. I've always put up with a job feed that came up with lots of writing jobs despite the advanced searches I tried to construct (including "and not "writer"". And I accept that if I put editor in as a term for the feed I'm going to have to see video editing jobs, etc. So I opened all the jobs in my job feed and, lo and behold, nearly every one of them was a "GOOD FIT!". I then deleted my main search and re-wrote it stripped to the bone with just stuff like editor, proofreader, etc. Now in my new job feed I opened up "Create WP Template to take fields from a Gravity Form into a Custom Post and make them editable for the User submitting the Form. " and "IPhone Video Guide" - both a long way from proofing and editing - and lo and behold, they were both a "GOOD FIT!" So now (bear with me)... I deleted the first search and added a new search term to the feed - JOOMLA. I haven't a clue what it is, I just know I keep seeing the word crop up. So now my new job feed brings up a few "JOOMLA" jobs, as requested. And... no, you're going too fast . ..OK then, you've guessed - the first two JOOMLA jobs I opened up were a "GOOD FIT!" So it would seem that this highly advanced new mad robot that considers past jobs, test results, feedback scores, etc, is really a toy robot that ACTUALLY just looks at your job feed. So you ask it what jobs to show you, and it tells you they're all a good fit. I really really don't want to go on too much about this, but a bit of openness and transparency wouldn't go amiss (and a bottle of Yellow tail Shiraz!)
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
13 of 42
From oDesk's website... [quote]How do I hire the right freelancer? Finding the right person for your project starts with writing a great job post. Describe what you need done and the skills you’re looking for—you’ll get qualified applicants, almost immediately. (We’ll even search out and send skilled candidates your way.) . . v From there, just interview your strongest candidates and hire your favorite! And if you’d prefer some hands-on help, we have recruiting services available to help you pick the perfect person.[/quote] ... to reality... [quote]I deleted the first search and added a new search term to the feed - JOOMLA. I haven't a clue what it is... ...the first two JOOMLA jobs I opened up were a "GOOD FIT!" . . v I've even been personally contacted by an oDesk "newbie helper" inviting me to interview on behalf of a new client for a writing job that he thought would be a really good fit for me. WHY?? I've 179 jobs done and not one of them involved writing. Nowhere on my profile page does it say I do writing (in fact it specifically says I don't.)[/quote] I rest my case.
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
14 of 42
You quoted oDesk in part: "We’ll even search out and send skilled candidates your way." As a freelancer, I have received a few invites from oDesk recruiters working on behalf of oDesk clients. Although I have a diverse background, none of the jobs were even close to my skill set. After months of trying to work with and work around these oDesk "mad robots," I have concluded that the site is just too buggy to work with any longer; thus, I have resorted to other freelancer venues. It just takes up way too much time to attempt securing good clients and good jobs here on oDesk.
Community Guru
15 of 42
I came to the same conclusion a while ago.
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
16 of 42

It was not like this before. It all started in year 2014. Specially after merging with elance.

Many good freelancers lost faith on this site.

Community Guru
17 of 42
Where is that like button when you need it? +1 Margaret, you are so right!
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
18 of 42
Hi Natasa, Yes, we certainly have room for improvement when it comes to our recommendations. The Job Fit label I believe Stephen was referring to in the original post is different from the process that shows your profile to clients as they complete their job posting. In BOTH cases, we'll continue to improve our accuracy.
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 42
Ganor, I have been invited to translation jobs for languages I don't speak. Just keep improving your accuracy, Garnor, just keep improving your accuracy :-)
-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
20 of 42
Yes Garnor, I know the Job Fit label is a different thing but my comment was meant to continue on the other thing Stephen also mentioned in his original post: [quote]I've even been personally contacted by an oDesk "newbie helper" inviting me to interview on behalf of a new client for a writing job that he thought would be a really good fit for me. WHY?? I've 179 jobs done and not one of them involved writing. Nowhere on my profile page does it say I do writing (in fact it specifically says I don't.)[/quote] Do you see what I mean now? Besides, what difference does it make what a feature is called when none of them work? Call it Job Fit, Invite all, True Match, Perfect Fit, Little Pink Flower... call them whatever you want. They are based on some criterias and it all comes down to one thing: they are both designed to do the one thing they can't do. oDesk can't keep implementing new features each week without fixing the issues first. I don't want to see recommended jobs that I am not qualified for just like I don't want to be invited to jobs that I am not qualified for. You guys keep saying "we've been closely monitoring this and that" but nothing is being done. I think my example with the Japanese sales agent job is enough to make my point. And if you think this is not enough, just let me know cause I have lots of them. [quote]In BOTH cases, we'll continue to improve our accuracy.[/quote] Why don't you start with ONE before you move on to the next one. Make ONE thing work on this website and we will all be a lot more happier.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS