Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good fit...for who??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
1 of 42
Another new feature sprung on us that we will undoubtedly be told will make everyone's life better. Now some of the jobs I open to look at have a big green "good fit" sign. What I want to know (as I have no client account) is, who sees this? - is it just the freelancer, or is it the client as well. If it's the freelancer, well - if the job page is open, then I'm quite capable of reading it and deciding whether it's a good fit for me based on multiple criteria, and am hardly likely to be swung by a big green sign telling me whether it suits me or not. As usual, some mad robot algorithm has been concocted to decide what's a good fit, and as usual, some of the "good fit" decisions it makes are ludicrous. I'm sick of being told that I'm a good fit for writing jobs, when all I've ever been is a proofreader and editor. I've even been personally contacted by an oDesk "newbie helper" inviting me to interview on behalf of a new client for a writing job that he thought would be a really good fit for me. WHY?? I've 179 jobs done and not one of them involved writing. Nowhere on my profile page does it say I do writing (in fact it specifically says I don't.) What criteria are used to decide good fit? Certainly not price. I see jobs with a big green "good fit" sticker asking for $10 per hour, or $ per 1,000 words. Why is that a good fit for me? Why oh why can they not stop trying to decide things for me and just leave me alone to run my business? At the every least, I think there are so many mad robots at this stage that there should be one big meta-option for every client and freelancer on their settings page- to opt out of oDesk algorithms and use the site "manually" New rant over (it's probably not too different from the last one) (and yes, I know it should be "for whom".....)
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 42
Hi Stephen, I also have a client account and I can see the 'good fit' sign using that account.
Community Guru
3 of 42
Thanks for that Gillian so now when someone asks me to do a writing job, I can't unload all my frustration on them, because apparently one of oDesk's mad robots has told them that I'm a good fit for their job (even though I've never done a writing job...)
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 42
Hi Stephen, We look at how well your work history, job performance, ratings, and profile match the job requirements and the client’s preferences. When we see a good match, we’ll show a badge saying the job is a good fit for you. You are still in control of whether or not you apply for these jobs, we're just aiming to make it easier/more efficient for you to identify them. We've been closely monitoring this and the feedback on the forums and we will continue to improve the accuracy of these recommendations.
Community Guru
5 of 42
Thanks for the reply Garnor - but with respect the point is that it's patently not working because I'm not a writer, and nothing in my work history, job performance, ratings or profile says that I am, so there's no reason for it to flag a good match for writing jobs. Of course I'm in control of whether I apply for jobs, same as other spam invitations I receive. It doesn't make it one bit easier or efficient for me to identify the jobs, because I'd still be looking through them with a fine-tooth comb. The fact is that there is a possibly good idea backed up by a bad algorithm that doesn't work....Groundhog day...
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
6 of 42
Hi Garnor, Stephen is 100% correct. I keep getting invites for jobs that are not even remotely close to my field of work, and the reason for this is oDesk's insane algorithm. [quote]We look at how well your work history, job performance, ratings, and profile match the job requirements and the client’s preferences.[/quote] No, you don't. I just recently got another invitation for a job that has absolutely nothing to do with my work history, job perfomance, rating, profile - or the client's preferences. Unlike oDesk reps, I can back up everything with facts. Let's take my latest invitation as an example. The client was looking for a Japanese sales agent who is fluent in speaking, reading and writing Japanese. Well, guess what? oDesk recommended me for this job. So what criteria are you talking about?? Please explain to me, how exactly am I a good fit for this job? I don't speak, write or read Japanese, I am not a sales agent and I have nothing in my work history that would even indicate that. I contacted the client immediately to inform him that I received the invitation by mistake, and he kindly replied and apologized to me. And it wasn't even his fault. He shouldn't need to apologize to me for oDesk's pathetic system. He explained to me that oDesk recommended me for this job. I am not a client here so I don't know how things look like on their end, but from what I was told, there is apparently an "Invite all" button that automatically sends out an invitation to all the freelancers that are recommended by oDesk. By oDesk. Can you imagine if I had flagged the client for spam? I wish I could flag oDesk for spam! If oDesk can't provide a service to clients and freelancers, then either hire competent staff to fix the issues or stop waisting everyone's time. [quote]You are still in control of whether or not you apply for these jobs, we're just aiming to make it easier/more efficient for you to identify them.[/quote] Don't expect a standing ovation any time soon. [quote]We've been closely monitoring this and the feedback on the forums and we will continue to improve the accuracy of these recommendations.[/quote] Again, no you don't. There is no actual improvement of the accuracy of the recommendations. The facts prove you wrong.
Community Guru
7 of 42
Thanks Natasha, I was beginning to wonder if I was cracking up under the strain! "from what I was told, there is apparently an "Invite all" button that automatically sends out an invitation to all the freelancers that are recommended by oDesk" Now that is really frightening And it's as bad as the case I mentioned where an oDesk employee personally invited me to interview on behalf of a new client, for a job I was entirely unsuited to. ... Please, please, just give us an opt-out button (though the problem with that is that a lot of clients will just press the "give me oDesk's list" button.) Why oh why can they not accept that their algorithms are flawed and patently do not do the job they're supposed to. I think even robots should be getting offended at this stage by being associated with them
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
8 of 42
Natasa 1, Garnor 0. Garnor has been owned again! I look forward to round two!
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
9 of 42
[quote=Natasa R.] If oDesk can't provide a service to clients and freelancers, then either hire competent staff to fix the issues or stop waisting everyone's time. [/quote]They have lofty ideas that would take a team of highly experienced and qualified programmer, QA testers and IT Managers to make work but they apparently are not prepared to pay for it. If there is even a QA team I would be extremely surprised.
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
10 of 42
There shouldn't be so many flaws and tech issues on this site. I've registered with many sites in my time and things usually run smoothly. I don't get it. Computer systems are supposed to make the user's life easier. You make a good point, Margaret. The site is only as good as its Programmers etc
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS