Did you mean: 

Good job Upwork on now reviewing profiles

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
21 of 30

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Natasa M wrote:

Katrina, my comment was regarding taking just inactivity as a measure--not cheating and stuff.  And I explained why-- I just think there would be a lot of talents and clients lost in the process, if they would just take that inactivity as a criterion.  And of course, just my opinion.

You asked what harm they were doing, though, and there is a clear answer to that--new freelancers who want to be active are being turned away because of the number of freelancers already registered in that area. If many of those freelancers aren't actually using the platform, doesn't it make sense to clear the way for those who want to work? 

Not necessarily. Upwork is perfectly capable of basing its admission bar on the number of active, productive, or profitable contractors, according to its own business needs, while still carrying inactive providers on its rolls—which has a client-facing marketing benefit: "Eight jillion providers just salivating over the chance to work for you!" I rather suspect that's exactly what they do.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Noel M Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
22 of 30

Is this also being done when submitting work in the portfolio section of a freelancer's profile? I noticed it when I had a sample uploaded in my portfolio. It says "Under review"

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
23 of 30

Hi Katrina,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and for reporting questionable profiles. I see Natasha shared the announcement thread Garnor posted at the beginning of February for the users not familiar with the registration review process. I can confirm that we have a dedicated team reviewing cases like the ones you mentioned, to ensure skilled professionals' registrations are approved and they are able to use Upwork. 

Rene, as we posted before, Upwork doesn't tolerate fake profiles and stolen Portfolio items. I'm sure you noticed the number of users whose accounts have been suspended after being reviewed by our team and found to be in breach of our ToS.

Noel, reviewing new portfolio samples is an unrelated process that you can read more about here.

Highlighted
Noel M Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
24 of 30

Oh thanks so much, Vladimir. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
25 of 30

Boot people for inactivity? There is already an option to search freelancers by last time active. Its at the client discretion to use it or not.

The review process will probably only increase the number of people working under the umbrella of an agency. The more a place seem exclusivist, the more it will be created the need of assisted registration

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
26 of 30

I don't think inactive contractors are a big factor in anything we are talking about. Inactive contractors are not competing against me when I bid on jobs.

Upwork algorithmically tries to emphasize active contractors when making recommendations to clients.

And I think genuine numbers of active contractors and new applicant profile quality are the overwhelming factors in whether new applicants are being rejected or not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
27 of 30

The reason I was saying this is because most of the letters the new contractors are getting state there is no room in the marketplace and booting inactive contractors would make room in the marketplace. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
28 of 30

Katrina:

IF Upwork is including inactive contractors in their calculations, they should NOT be. They should stop doing so.

I don't think that they are, though.

I can't prove it, though. If someone knows more about that than I do, their input would be welcome.

What is unsaid in that message, out of a desire to be polite, is that really awful contractor profiles are being rejected, and it doesn't really matter how much opportunity is in the marketplace.

Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 30

Also, the language of the rejection message is intended to help minimize the extant to which bad contractors game the system by knowing precisely why they're being rejected, and implementing targeted adjustments to their approach.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
30 of 30

Aha, good point.  I see what you're saying now. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS