Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye, Rising Talent

Highlighted
Community Guru
Heath S Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
1 of 11

I recently received an email from Upwork stating that I had been awarded a rising talent badge.  About 24 hours later, the badge appeared on my profile and I received my bonus connects.  Ah, life was grand, but all things are transient.  Less than 24 hours from the time it arrived, my Rising Talent badge vanished, a JSS in its place.  I've read the help documents.  I knew this would happen.  I also know that one day my life will end.  That doesn't mean I'm ready to die tomorrow.

I loved that badge.  I know you'll say that you can't love something you had for less than a day, but I did.  I loved it with all my soul.  I even called my mom to share the good news.  "Heath," she said, "I was wrong to love your brother more than you all these years.  Truly, you are the better son.  You'll inherit everything now.  That brat won't get a dime."

Now I'll have to tell her.  No more rising talent badge, ma.  Sorry.  All I have now is a nasty old JSS.  Turns out you were right.  My brother was the better man all along.

So, Upwork, today you'll make an old lady cry.  Sure, she's grumpy, and kind of downright mean, and always preferred my brother, but she makes the best potato salad you've ever tasted... and now it will only taste of the saltiness of tears.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 11

And they added insult to injury with 80% Job Success. Seems like you're getting a raw deal. I can only guess one or more of your clients didn't rate you 9 or 10 on the how likely are you to recommend question. Sure hope the JS goes up quickly for you.

3 of 11

Thanks, John.  Hopefully my JSS will go up soon as I just completed a job this morning for a great client.  Yeah, it does sting a bit to have a 80% JSS when all my public feedback is 5 stars.  I can only guess, like you said, that someone rated me poorly on likely to recommend, but didn't have the courage to give me less than 5 star public feedback.  Ah, c'est la vie.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Armela C Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
4 of 11

Lol to your  Article. It makes  the feeling  light. I'll tell you what?   Yesterday,  I  got an eMail  from  Upwork that I am no longer  a  Rising Talent.   It  was a   mixed   feeling, I   truly wish the Program  was   all  praises  and magnificent  to  carry  around.... but  the program  says ...  (  this freelancer   do not   have  enough working  experience but   we  have  recognized  talent)...   OMG...  it  was a   Career  Suicide   Badge! What will  my   Industry  Clients  say??  I am a  Food and Restaurant  Consultant,  a New  Business  Developer,  a Technical Writer, a  Painter and Copyright Holder!   What will  Brazil, South America say  ... I painted   Brazil   and  its  registered in  the  National Library  of  the  Philippines! 

I  was  So  grateful  for the Program  but  when I had the time  to  read it...  it was  an uh-oh... I must  have  blushed while reading the part  where    it implies   (this freelancer  do not have   that  much experience,   if you hire  her,  we  are   seeing  talent, yes,  nut no work   history)..  Am I  a 20 yr  old  freelancer , fresh from  school?   When   bills are  piling up  and   you have  no projects  coming  yet,  ooops,  yes, any  which  way to  get  a  kick  start , but not  lose  history  of  your  Career   or  set  Aside    wait  for me   pending projects    Anyway, to cut  the Story short,  I  never  got  around  talking to the right person...  (maybe now the right person  will),   there  was  Always something  to   do.  

The  eMail  I got was  so   off!   I  think it  was  a   mistake  eMail  or   it was   deliberately   a  wet blanket  eMail.   i just  finsihed  2 contracts  in  Upwork,  which I finished on the same   day  I signed  the contract....  !   It says  I  have to have  a  history of  repeat  Contract.....  wait  a   minute,   I know my two  jobs  were  a  Consultancy  Success. Both of   my  clients  got   empowered  enough  to finish it on their  own. For my first  contract,  my links werent  working,  my mailbox   wasnt  working... there was a  communication  problem and my   client knew it and Im so  grateful,  he  appreciated  my being able to   do it the same day... the contract  just logged  on  because  the  client   set   an hourly  auto limit but  opened a  manual  time  on his  contract,   but the manual time button  wasnt Working  so I had  to do  a  weekly  time tracker, to bill the manhr for  that previous week  but can  onlywork on his auto  hrly   limit.   So its the backend technical  mistake.     Another  condition  for  a job sucess   and the program  was  a  "lack of  feedback'.  There was   no feedback  because   it  was   a personal and too intimate a  project  for the client, it was   his  wedding program.   But with the grace  of  God,   my client  submitted  his  feedback  after  his honeymoon,  about 2  months later,  and a  day late  than the  your -rising  -star-  talent - was- taken -out-  eMail. or  maybe it was  there all along, but  caught within the  strings of  html  commands  in the back end.  Next  Client  was a Pre-Consulting  which was also finished the same day. I even  made  a  time and motion study  on it.   Same  Client  says he   will finish  it himself....  All is well that  ends well!   Imagine   an empowered   Client  after   a pre-consultancy for his project.  It was  a  job sucess!  Ask me! Im the Consultant!

But for this  post,  I  would  just  let it  ride.....   Sometimes I wonder, are we   school  children  around  here?   Posts are  deleted  by the admin.,   badges are taken out without even  inquiring   if the freelancer  feels  it is  fair.   True, it was  rewarded  as a  badge  gratuitiously  (something  given  freely without  being asked ) and earned ...  for those that may really  not  have any work experience, but are talents...  but  something isnt  right!   There  is  So much lack of respect in the  process that I am thinking  "have  these  admins  ever  read the Civil   Code'?  Even sometthing given  gratuitiously  is  a  right  of  the   person  who has   received  it.  Just like  the  labor benefits that  cannot  be  Taken  back    once  it has been given.   Can  a Freelancer  be  asked if they can  take it back  or   are  they doing  it  correct by  the freelancer?    Sometimes, only  when an  indifference point is reached, people learn  of  "what is  right by  me is  right  by  anyone",  and  both  are  holding the courage to speak  and  do,   and I am learning  too how  and why  labor unions  came to be...  Or  sometimes  you wonder, are  they buikding a  case  around  here?  Or  is this a  part  of evolution of   intelligence.?  The cost  of  human intelligence'  evolution  really hurts.;  Because  when it  becomes too  often   a  mistake,   you step  back and  think.  

Your  article was   so  cool,  its  like  bill  gates and mark zuckerburg's   ice bucket    challenge  in  facebook, refreshing and  cool....  Thanks for your post!  

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 11

Thank you, Armela.  You are too kind!  I'm very glad I was able to make you laugh.

I know what you mean.  When Upwork ripped my Rising Talent badge from my chest, they took a piece of my heart and left a wound that burns with a cold fire.  It's like being 6-years-old again and being rejected by my crush on the playground.  Slings and arrows!  Slings and arrows!  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Armela C Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
6 of 11

Ladies and Gentleman!  Learn to accept  a No!    and Carry  your rejection with dignity...  With  slings   and Arrows,  it  was  Cupid  who  hed  the arrow for  Aphrodite....   and it was Goliath  and David's  story that holds the  sling...

Some people  are  sellling  badges  ...  i read.   (jokes you and lol)   but it was  really  a  kind  program  for  our  young  talents....    For  it,   perhaps,I  got my  first hourly  Upwork  project,  a wedding Program  and  my  first  Escrowship  Program....  It was a  kind  program,isnt  it  as I am also  kind. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 11

@Armela C wrote:

Ladies and Gentleman!  Learn to accept  a No!    and Carry  your rejection with dignity...  With  slings   and Arrows,  it  was  Cupid  who  hed  the arrow for  Aphrodite....   and it was Goliath  and David's  story that holds the  sling...

Some people  are  sellling  badges  ...  i read.   (jokes you and lol)   but it was  really  a  kind  program  for  our  young  talents....    For  it,   perhaps,I  got my  first hourly  Upwork  project,  a wedding Program  and  my  first  Escrowship  Program....  It was a  kind  program,isnt  it  as I am also  kind. 

I love your posts so much. I have 0 clue ever what you're saying and I walk away thinking that I read some words but I'm more confused as ever. I like you friend. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 11

@Heath S wrote:

I recently received an email from Upwork stating that I had been awarded a rising talent badge.  

And you immediately started to think about yourself as a rising star didn't you? Upwork had to put an end to this, giving you a 80% success rate instead so you know what's your real place on Earth.

Good thing is, you now have some room for improvement and a whole new purpose in life. The JSS is updated every two weeks. It is up to you to make it better, this will also give you a chance to call mom twice a month to tell her how you're climbing the ladder of success. I'm not sure bro has the same opportunity.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 11

@Rene K wrote:

And you immediately started to think about yourself as a rising star didn't you? Upwork had to put an end to this, giving you a 80% success rate instead so you know what's your real place on Earth.

I did, Rene, I did!  Like Icarus I was borne aloft on wings of my own hubris, and like that Greek youth I was sent plummeting to my doom.  But no minotaur lurks in the center of my labryinth, but rather Upwork with their souless algorithims that care nothing for my sorrow and shame.

As for my brother, he's an accountant that earns in the very high 6 figures annually so he'll always be the favorite - the punk.  Smiley Tongue 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 11

Accountant brothers are useful when it comes to sorting out invoices and taxes - give your cranky ma a bunch of red roses, send her a kissagram and take her out to a fancy restaurant - just

sayin . . . Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS