cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Hangouts

k_mccabe_ruff
Active

I was asked to "interview" for what appears to be an excellent opportunity.

I spent an hour replying to the client providing the information that was requested (no personal information).

I received an INSTANT (the same minute) reply to my long email.  It was written by someone who appeared not to speak English very well.  It requested I do a Google Hangouts interview "asap".  I was given the interviewer's name and the company name.

Since the whole thing was looking questionable, I called the company and searched the names directory for the "interviewer".  He's not employed by this company.

I flagged the job as inappropriate.  Is there anything else I should do?  There does not appear to be any way to contact Upwork support.

Note: I'm pretty new to Upwork and this is the second time I've been scammed in the last 10 days.  Each time I've taken 1 to 2 hours to respond to the request - a lot of time to be scammed.  I even completed the first assignment and then never heard back from the person and didn't get paid.  Is Upwork legit?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hashmizaid
Ace Contributor

Hello Kelley,

If you see any job post that seems like a scam, you can visit Upwork Help center and then click on Get Help to communicate your issue to the support. Donot forget to share the Job post URL whilst filling out the information, this way the Upwork support will be able to track down the client easily.

Always keep your communications on Upwork.

Getting scammed! This happens a lot with new freelancers because they don't read articles on how to get started on Upwork and they usually end up unpaid or scammed. And these scammers usually target new freelancers like you. 

Thus, I suggest you read more and more articles on Upwork Help Center. I find Upwork to be a safe and healthy platform.

Regards,

Zaid

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru

Here are some red flags to avoid and report: 

Interview on Google Hangouts

Not paying through Upwork

Requiring you to spend money in some way to work for them; Sending you a check for equipment or whatever

Requesting personal information - Upwork already has it, the client doesn't need it

Offering benefits like insurance, etc.  Freelancers do NOT get benefits ever.

Using the name of a well known company and sometimes an actual employee of that company

Upaid tests, unpaid samples

Looking to hire dozens of freelancers

Be sure that your profile doesn't say that you are new to Upwork - they pick up on that really quickly.

Also, when you are new, pretty much any invitation you get is apt to be a scam.  Focus on job listings and forget that invitations exist for a while (although be sure to decline the spooky ones).  You can flag the jobs and block the scammers that send invites.

Mary, you've been very helpful.  Thank you.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kelly,

I checked the job and the client you are referring to have already been removed from the platform. In addition to Mary's suggestions, please check out this post for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

re: "Is Upwork legit?"

Kelley:

Upwork is legitimate.

I never receive invitations from scammers. I never encounter scammers when applying to jobs. I only read about scammers here in the Forum.

You are an entry-level newbie. Scammers target people like you.

To save time, know that ALL Google Hangouts invitations are scams.

ALL invitations you receive right now from out of the blue are going to be people who are just wasting your time and trying to trick you. Don't pay any attention to them. Immediately decline all such invitations.

When you gain more experience, you can begin receiving legitimate invitations like I do.

For now, focus only on those jobs which you carefully select yourself and end proposals to.

Thanks, Preston.  I will do that.

hashmizaid
Ace Contributor

Hello Kelley,

If you see any job post that seems like a scam, you can visit Upwork Help center and then click on Get Help to communicate your issue to the support. Donot forget to share the Job post URL whilst filling out the information, this way the Upwork support will be able to track down the client easily.

Always keep your communications on Upwork.

Getting scammed! This happens a lot with new freelancers because they don't read articles on how to get started on Upwork and they usually end up unpaid or scammed. And these scammers usually target new freelancers like you. 

Thus, I suggest you read more and more articles on Upwork Help Center. I find Upwork to be a safe and healthy platform.

Regards,

Zaid

Great advice - thank you, Zaid!

And, p.s., I bookmarked the page and will read the articles.

Perfect!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS