🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Got a job, and client didn't make an offe...
Page options
thealexoff777
Community Member

Got a job, and client didn't make an offer, didn't pay and now ignores me even though I did the work

I did a job, but didn't get offer and didn't get paid.

I sent completed work to my customer, and now he just ignores me and doesn't respond to my messages.

This is a work:
https://www.upwork.com/ab/proposals/1235975195284746241

Name of this person is:
**edited for Community Guidelines**

Please help me.

12 REPLIES 12
lysis10
Community Member

Aleksandrs M wrote:

I sent completed work to my customer, and now he just ignores me and doesn't respond to my messages.

This is a work:

Name of this person is:
Manab Das

Please help me.

You got scammed.

You allowed a client to scam you.   As always, I recommend a project start-up call be set. A visual one, through the Upwork facility.  This is a chance to explain billing procedures, do a final check on client viability, and relate the importance of completing the project with ratings exchange.

Do this right before accepting the work.  If the call goes well, the probability of a successful job start-up and job closure obviously goes up.

My point is not to be contrarian here.   That one word, "allowed" indicates who was ultimately responsible for the outcome.  Now is a good time to reflect on what was done incorrectly and not allow yourself to be scammed again.

John suggests a call before accepting a project.

I think he's offering some great tips here.

Personally: That isn't how I do things.

I rarely have a call with clients.

If the client wants a call, I'll do a call. I'll do a video chat. Or phone call. GoToMeeting. Whatever they want, I'm fine with it.

But if they don't want a call, that's great. I don't ask for one. Communicating purely through messages sent via the Upwork Messages tool works fine for me.

pudingstudio
Community Member

Aleksandrs M wrote:

This is a work:

Name of this person is:
Manab Das

Please help me.

"I did a job, but didn't get offer and didn't get paid."
"Please help me."

Who can help?

It's not only rule on UpWork, but in any aspect of ones life - don't do a job without being offered one.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Lesson learned. No offer, no work. Also don’t accept a job if you don’t have everything you need. Please read the resources available to you before you proceed with the next job.

Yes, I understand. But don't you think that those people should be banned from this website at all?

Like in any service or even game, if person cheats - they get banned.

And on Upwork people can freely do this stuff without being afraid of getting banned?!

Flag the job post. Upwork caters to clients. Even the bad ones. Because Upwork needs clients to survive. As do we.

Aleksandrs M wrote:

Yes, I understand. But don't you think that those people should be banned from this website at all?

Like in any service or even game, if person cheats - they get banned.

And on Upwork people can freely do this stuff without being afraid of getting banned?!

Those clients should be banned. YES.

ALSO... Freelancers SHOULD NOT provide free work. Freelancers who do.... They also should be punished.

It IS that basic - DON'T provide free work.
Hurts you.
Hurts me.
Hurts Jannine.
Hurts every freelancer.

dzadza
Community Member

Aleksandrs M wrote:

This is a work:

Name of this person is:
Manab Das

Please help me.

wait - no one offered you a job and yet you went and did the work and sent it to the guy who didn't offer you the job?
why on earth did you do that?
never, ever EVER even  think of start working until you have a contract - and for fixed price, make sure thet the milestone is funded. NEVER accept so called "tests" -  if the client asks for a free sample - just say no 

A freelancer who is doing free work - working on projects without even receiving an offer - is more harmful than a client who receives such work.

If I had to choose which to ban - the freelancer or the client - I would ban the freelancer.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aleksandrs, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. We always recommend freelancers not to start working on a project unless the client sent an offer, the freelancer accepted the offer and it's showing as an active contract on the My Jobs page, and the client's payment method is verified. These are minimum requirements to meet Upwork Payment Protection.

I was unable to check your account, but if you haven't already, please report the client by flagging their job post as inappropriate so that it goes to the team's queue for their review. 

~ Avery
Upwork
joansands
Community Member

Why would you do work for someone who did not hire you?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members