🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Got a job offer with exe file
Page options
80e7faba
Community Member

Got a job offer with exe file

Hey Upworkers. 

I recently got a job offer on upwork which is for $20/hr for 15hrs per week. The guy sent me a link to their facebook, discussed the tasks and then asked for my email to send more details. I was very hesitant at first but felt like giving out email to know details must be fine. Fast forwarding he sent me a rar file which was password protected and provided me the pass. I opened it to see and for a split second a tab opened and disappeared shortly after. Could it be a malware or a virus? The file was sent through an app called weshare.

Although I ran anti virus and nothing was found, could it still be something bad? Help would be highly appreciated.

P.S. The contract appears under the my jobs tab and it says Pending: Waiting for your approval. This makes me feel like it might not be a scam but honestly I feel anxious for the file that I opened in my laptop. Any kind of help in this case would be really appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
crimmc
Community Member

This person sent me an executable in rar archive don't apply to it. Just a waste of time and money.
https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~0136f65e0f04da40e0

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Yep, it was mallware.

Proceed recovery or hire someone if unable yourself.

Never open executables in future.

I am running microsoft safety scanner and hoping to remove it before it does any harm. Thankyou for your response Mykola.

yofazza
Community Member

Just be careful, not everything is 'known' to an 'anti-virus'. It's safer to do a 'system recovery' (restore a previously saved system).

Of all the 'money hacked' problems here, I'm sure keyloggers are one of the causes.

isaacbarrera
Community Member

Hi, it seems that this is quite common, about two months ago the same thing happened to me, only I was able to detect the scam when I saw that the rar file contained a word document with an exe extension. When confronting the person about this, what he told me was that it was the program with which they shared information without risking the privacy of their data. I instantly told him it was a scam, a few days later the profile had been blocked, I think multiple people reported it.

6c058ce9
Community Member

It's a common theme in Upwork to only get responses from job adverts by scammers. This is most important thing to notice when recieiving a job offer. New user and many job postings. In this job they have been a member since today and posted 64 jobs. Unrealistic and 100% scam. STAY AWAY.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

crimmc
Community Member

This person sent me an executable in rar archive don't apply to it. Just a waste of time and money.
https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~0136f65e0f04da40e0

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members