cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got scammed and "bad feedback" from the scammer. oDesk won't remove it. Seriously?

Julian L Member Since: Aug 4, 2014
1 of 12
I don't know who I should turn to. It seems that I only get copy + pasted answers from oDesk support, so maybe someone here can help me or give me tipps? I got scammed, my own fault, nothing much to say there. However the scammer got deleted from oDesk as far as I can tell, but his feedback is still in my profile. I had a high rating before and thanks to his feedback it fell about 0.1 points. That might not sound much, but when there are a few freelancers applying for a job it does indeed make a difference. The answers I get from support is that they can't delete feedback or anything, because the client has the right to it and if I am not satisfied, I should as said client. Well. He is deleted and I also have no means of contacting him. So why can his feedback persist? This does not make sense, especially because the job wasn't even real that he offered. I am at a loss for words and it's really bugging me. I am even thinking of just registering a new account because of this.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 12
Hi Julian, I am sorry you have had a negative experience with a dishonest client. I don't see any bad feedback on your public profile though. In any case, please, don't create another account, because it is against oDesk Policies to have more than one account per user. Your profile looks great and I am sure it will attract a lot of good clients with interesting projects. Best of luck!
~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Shahzad A Member Since: Feb 11, 2012
3 of 12
[quote=Julian L.]I am even thinking of just registering a new account because of this.[/quote] Valeria, Will this be also treated as a violation if Julian completely removes his current account and creates a new one? Just curious to know if he can avail this option!
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 12
Thank you for your question, Shahzad. Yes, it would be considered a violation if a user closes his or her account and opens a new one.
~ Valeria
Untitled
5 of 12
Hey Valeria, thanks for the answer. I was not being serious, I just meant that I felt like creating a new one. I will obviously not do it. Regards Julian
Ace Contributor
Shahzad A Member Since: Feb 11, 2012
6 of 12
Hey bud! you do not need to give up just for a dishonest person. I'll suggest you to reach out to the folks on this issue by using the option Respond to this feedback from the contract page.
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
7 of 12
Hi Julian, It seems to have been taken off now. I don't see it.
8 of 12
Haha, indeed it does. Interesting. Thanks to oDesk I guess for finally removing it. Whew, I am really glad now. Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
9 of 12
That's good. All the best with finding other contracts, Julian.
Ace Contributor
Nick M Member Since: Jul 12, 2011
10 of 12
I'm glad you got your issue resolved. Back when i was relatively new to oDesk, i was scammed (not paid for work) and left bad feedback - yet in my conversations with the client he praised by and never, ever said there was anything wrong with the work or anything else related to the contract. But for whatever reason, this guy decides to a) not pay the outstanding amount and b) leave me feedback that doesn't reflect his experience with me - everything i had an issue with was clearly shown in the messages to and from the client - but, as usual, oDesk didn't have a care in the world to give and the feedback, albeit not reflective of the work that was carried out, remains on my profile to this very day. It's ridiculous that oDesk just say "it reflects their views", but how is that the case, when his "views" contradict every part of the communication we ever had?! Me being the person i am, i tracked him down on Facebook and messaged him - he was happy enough to laugh about the fact he had scammed me. I mean, come on, you don't decide to NOT PAY your contractor when all previous communications were great between you. oDesk really need to look at their policies, some of them are just archaic.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS