🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Got scammed
Page options
11e8186c
Community Member

Got scammed

Hi, I am extremely disappointed by this platform. I recently got scammed by a fake company for a job proposal I sent to them. They have my information and are sending me continuous emails/phone calls and text messages. I would like to file a complaint against them and take the necessary action. Please assist.

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Sai S wrote:

I recently got scammed by a fake company for a job proposal I sent to them. They have my information and are sending me continuous emails/phone calls and text messages.

It's very difficult to get scammed when sticking to the basic rules of the platform and a bit of common sense.

Let me guess, you agreed to be sent a check (in violation of Upwork's terms of service)?

11e8186c
Community Member

I didnt accept anything, so please stop with your assumptions. If its a matter of common sense, this platform shouldn't allow scammers to begin with period. I am compltely new to this service so I dont have the guidelines memorized, it would be helpful if you just be direct and tell me where to place a complaint. Thanks

petra_r
Community Member

Sai S wrote:

it would be helpful if you just be direct and tell me where to place a complaint. 

Go to the job post and click on the "Flag as inappropriate" button, but chances are they've already been removed.

lysis10
Community Member

Sai S wrote:

Hi, I am extremely disappointed by this platform. I recently got scammed by a fake company for a job proposal I sent to them. They have my information and are sending me continuous emails/phone calls and text messages. I would like to file a complaint against them and take the necessary action. Please assist.

It's very rare for me to give out my number. Set yourself up with a VoIP number like Google Voice or even better just suggest Skype when they ask to talk. I prefer it anyway because I can use my headset and open sites or files as the client talks to me. 

11e8186c
Community Member

Thank you, I will keep that in mind moving forward. But is there a way to place a complaint agaist these people.

lysis10
Community Member

Sai S wrote:

Thank you, I will keep that in mind moving forward. But is there a way to place a complaint agaist these people.

It'll get removed if it hasn't already.

btw, the scammers will continue to hit you up. I decided to mess with the ebay scammer who was pretty popular here about three years ago. Dude STILL texts my Google Voice number about every 2-3 months three years later.

11e8186c
Community Member

I would like to place a complaint against a client. I would like to contact one of upwork's representatives to show them the screenshots and other necessary information, inorder to take action. Please assist.

petra_r
Community Member

Sai S wrote:

I would like to place a complaint against a client. 

The "client," who isn't a client at all, has already been removed from the platform.

There is no need (and indeed no point) to do anything further from your side.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sai,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, be careful not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile. Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
6f8a1d9d
Community Member

I had the same issue and Upworks makes it very difficult to send a complaint...I have been looking for 30 minutes with no resolution.  They should have an easy email bottom at the bottom of the help page but nothing....How are we suppose to trust the website if they make it so difficult.

Kristi W wrote:

I had the same issue and Upworks makes it very difficult to send a complaint...I have been looking for 30 minutes with no resolution.  They should have an easy email bottom at the bottom of the help page but nothing....How are we suppose to trust the website if they make it so difficult.

Petra isn't an employee, she's a freelancer like you (and me). Any freelancer can post and comment in the forum.

As for your issue, Upwork actually makes it very easy to report clients. Go to the project page - in the top right-hand corner, there's a green link to "flag as inappropriate". If you can't find the project page, it's because somebody else has already reported it and Upwork has removed the job. No further action is necessary. Reporting the client's name, sending screen captures etc. isn't really going to help, because scammers use fake names that make it impossible for Upwork to track them down or ban them from the site; they just keep coming back with different names.

The best way to stay safe is to follow Upwork's terms and conditions by refusing to take any payments off the platform.

there are a few very simple rules for all online job platforms...
- client doesn't need your phone number
- client doesn't need your address
- client doesn't need your SSN, driver's license or any other ID
- client doesn't need your bank account or credit card number
- you don't need to purchase software or equipment in order to do a project...
- you definitely don't need to cash a check sent by the "client", since those are fakes...
online job platforms (and by thet I mean not just upwork - others as well) exist so that you won't have to give any of those details to strangers (clients or "clients").

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kristi,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths