cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got scammed

6f8a1d9d
Kristi W Member Since: Jun 18, 2020
11 of 14

I had the same issue and Upworks makes it very difficult to send a complaint...I have been looking for 30 minutes with no resolution.  They should have an easy email bottom at the bottom of the help page but nothing....How are we suppose to trust the website if they make it so difficult.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
12 of 14

Kristi W wrote:

I had the same issue and Upworks makes it very difficult to send a complaint...I have been looking for 30 minutes with no resolution.  They should have an easy email bottom at the bottom of the help page but nothing....How are we suppose to trust the website if they make it so difficult.

Petra isn't an employee, she's a freelancer like you (and me). Any freelancer can post and comment in the forum.

As for your issue, Upwork actually makes it very easy to report clients. Go to the project page - in the top right-hand corner, there's a green link to "flag as inappropriate". If you can't find the project page, it's because somebody else has already reported it and Upwork has removed the job. No further action is necessary. Reporting the client's name, sending screen captures etc. isn't really going to help, because scammers use fake names that make it impossible for Upwork to track them down or ban them from the site; they just keep coming back with different names.

The best way to stay safe is to follow Upwork's terms and conditions by refusing to take any payments off the platform.

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
13 of 14

there are a few very simple rules for all online job platforms...
- client doesn't need your phone number
- client doesn't need your address
- client doesn't need your SSN, driver's license or any other ID
- client doesn't need your bank account or credit card number
- you don't need to purchase software or equipment in order to do a project...
- you definitely don't need to cash a check sent by the "client", since those are fakes...
online job platforms (and by thet I mean not just upwork - others as well) exist so that you won't have to give any of those details to strangers (clients or "clients").

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
14 of 14

Hi Kristi,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS