Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Idea To Get Money Back

ahsan-debika
Ace Contributor
Sheikh Ahsan A Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
1 of 12

Today I have finished a contract of $20. After ending contract client's text to me:-

"Though your all information is 100% correct, I have given you 4.10 feedback. If you want to back to 5.00 you can refund"

What a nice Idea. Really freelancers are very happy.

msayno
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
2 of 12

Feedback blackmail -- please report and have this client investigated.

ahsan-debika
Ace Contributor
Sheikh Ahsan A Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 12

Would oDesk will make my feedback to 5.00 ? No. oDesk’s priority will be for client and I’ll receive from oDesk something like this “ Hello, We are writing to you that feedback for contract ID #XXXX client’s decision is final. Try to improve you quality and get more jobs to improve your feedback”

anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
4 of 12

Maybe that client read about your past forum posts wherein to retain your 5 stars feedback, you refunded another client who gave you 4.7 or 4.9 stars. You should stop refunding less than perfect ratings so people like that would stop targeting you. I hope you learn something out of this. 

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
tasamil
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
5 of 12

quote:"

"Though your all information is 100% correct, I have given you 4.10 feedback. If you want to back to 5.00 you can refund"

Consider yourself lucky that client so clearly tried to blackmail you. Usually they  are more cunning and they will just invent bunch of reasons why they gave you a lower feedback (hoping of course that you 'll refund-but they won't state that so it is harder to prove that  it is indeed a blackmail.)  So yes, you are lucky-report this because it is kind of obvious case of blackmail, together with his email.

And I agree with Dianne-with high score- perfect 5.00 or 4.99- you will experience this relatively often because it is obvious that you  care about your reputation (speaking from personal experience here.)Also you are enabling client to get away with dishonesty and enabling him to pull the same trick on someone else. Beside that, you have a similar situation to mine-a lot of short-term jobs with different clients which increases chances of encountering dishonest clients.Try to be very careful in picking new clients or try  to settle with couple of  them that you know long-term.

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
6 of 12

Don't negotiate for feedback! Report the incident to oDesk Support, via the oDesk Help Center ASAP https://support.odesk.com/

Regarding the feedback, with proof that the client attempted to extort money for feedback, request oDesk show the ended contract with no feedback in either direction. I am not certain that oDesk will do that; however, it seems like the appropriate thing for oDesk to do..

oDesk should NOT give you 5.00 feedback! Also, with regard to any past occasions, I hope you have proof that the client attempted to extort money for feedback. Otherwise, it might appear that you "bought" better feedback from the client by making refunds, which I believe would be in voilation of oDesk policies.

Anyone, client or freelancer, should be banned from oDesk for life if proof of such actions are found by oDesk to be true.

Ron aka LanWanMan
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
7 of 12

Ron, this freelancer complained in the past here about a client not giving him 5 stars (he was given 4.7 or 4.9 stars) and he refunded that client because he wanted the client to give him 5 stars, not 4.9, not 4.7.

IMHO, by repeatedly refunding just to maintain a 5 star feedback, he's only making himself vulnerable to more bad clients. I also think actions like that are dishonest and is bad for the marketplace.

I won't be surprised if he'd post something similar again in the next weeks. This is his 3rd post in the same topic/complaint if I'm not mistaken. I've got no sympathy left.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
8 of 12

Kudos DM!

When reading the initial post and the first few replies, it seemed like a case of "feedback blackmail." However, based on how things developed, it now appears that both the client and the freelancer are in the wrong.

There is another thread or other threads that discuss undesirable feedback related activities and penalties. Something about contracts that end and result in bad feedback for the freelancers. Then, the freelancers make refunds "after the fact" in order to avoid the bad feedback. I believe those "unpublicized" metrics have something to do with freelancer account reviews.

Maybe VK will comment again and coordinate with SA as the situation might warrant.

Ron aka LanWanMan
aseembhalla
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
9 of 12

There are certain cases when freelancers just have to make a refund even if he is not at fault. But this is just plain silly. Client had openly declared this as feedback extortion and needs to be reported. Even if odesk does not help, one feedback of 4.10 should not spoil a freelancer's profile(May be it does at Fiverr) .

On top of that this guy is declaring his vulnerablility to hundreds of possible clients who are now going to think about targeting him. This case reminds me of those cartoons where the character shoots himself on the foot.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 12

Hi Sheikh Ahsan,

I am sorry about this situation. Although 4.10 is not that bad of feedback, please still report the client for feedback extortion and make sure you submit a screenshot of that message from the client. oDesk Team will review and make an appropriate decision.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS