🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Great looking job, but very detailed screenin...
Page options
Community Member

Great looking job, but very detailed screening questions, thoughts?

Hi Everybody,

I applied to a job that looked great; high $/hour, lots of potential for longevity, etc...

The client came back with about 10 "screening questions". The questions are very specific to the job and the actual tasks. The client has asked I answer all the questions as specific as possible and to the best of my ability. Following this, I will be considered for an interview over Zoom.

None of the questions are about me, my experience, approaches to solving the problem, etc. I estimate it'd take me about 10 hours to answer all of these. It seems a bit unfair. The client is of course asking all the other freelancers that have applied the same set of questions. So the client will end up with a ton of information, for free.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to approach this? Anyone had a similar experience?
If the client does legitimately want to hire someone, it does look like a great opportunity.

The client has very little job history (one small job from 3 years ago). I cannot find any information about the client or the company even.

Thanks and best regards,
Bryan

7 REPLIES 7
fbe18c8e
Community Member

I personally find that to be unfair and it does cause me to evaluate the amount of time I have to put into answering questions such as those.  For one thing, I feel as though they do not value my time when asking for lengthy answers.  I get that we are looking for a job at times and as we all know, looking for a job is a full time job.  When a company does that, I determine they do not value my time and therefore, what kind of company would they be to work for? But that's just my opinion. 
Have you searched Glassdoor to see if they've been rated by other employees or looked them up on LinkedIn?  If it's a reputable company, then this could be perfectly acceptable and standard.  Look at Google.  They go through some extreme and lengthy hiring processes but once in, the employees love it.
Best of luck!

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Anyone have any thoughts on how to approach this?"

Don't.

Your time is valuable.

Don't work for free.

sajal36
Community Member

I believe you must ask for a small size contract to respond to the queries which are not related to job interview.

A serious client pays freelancers for their time and for their work.

A serious freelancer doesn't waste their time with time-wasting clients, whether the client is a time-waster because he is a scammer or simply because he does not know better.

As a client, I hire people using hourly contracts to if I want to ask them questions or have them spend time discussing my project.

I do NOT ask freelancers to commit time to me or my project without paying them.

True. However considering today market scenario, every opportunity is important and it will not be wise to miss any without any action. Requesting client for a contract can help client to understand that information he is asking requires chargable effort. Sometimes clients are not aware on amount of effort it requires to get the responses..

2a05aa63
Community Member

I usually skip these kind of jobs. The proper way for clients to do this is pay for test assignments but I don't haveing those in my work history.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Bryan,

Direct the prospect to view your Upwork Profile and detailed Portfolio.

Don't do free work.

Prospects that have those types of behaviors in my experience are not going to hire anyone, but instead, take the free work.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members