🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » HELP! Email scammer? Or is this phishing?
Page options
8a7fdc41
Community Member

HELP! Email scammer? Or is this phishing?

So I'm a new freelancer. I don't have any experience on upwork and I found this job proposal, a data entry one.

They said to contact out of upwork via email. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Then he asked if I was a translator which I found wierd because there was no requirements of knowing languages but I went with the flow and said no. He asked me for any certificates or something to prove that I have experience on data entry and I said no. I had a gut feeling that this might be fake since its unprofessional to ask a certificate via email. And then I asked for the terms and details and he sent me a US wps document, a link, that I foolishly opened. I tried downloading the document but I couldn't, so I signed up to the website of wps that they forwarded me to. I signed in with my email and my password and I went back to the agreement but I couldn't still download it.

I downloaded the wps app but still the document wouldn't open in the wps app. That was when I knew that this might be fake. 

It was a contract to sign and I dint do a thing. But now I'm worried this might be Phishing.

I read all the upwork posts, blog posts about these scam emails later on and about five hours later I decided to change my email passwords. Am I too late?

I'm panicking. I emailed him saying I can't do this project anymore and his response was 'Yeah' and then to contact someone else on telegram to take the job offer. I said I can't do this project again. He hasn't replied yet.

What do i do now? I didn't give him any credit card details and I cannot find the job offer on upwork to report. It's gone missing.

Will signing in from my email be a problem? Should I delete my Email? I need help!!!

9 REPLIES 9
pgiambalvo
Community Member

This is a scam. Stop all communication with them. If they contact you through your email, block them and don't reply.

But I contacted them this morning. Will it be a problem? I will stop from now on

Suzanna M wrote:

But I contacted them this morning. Will it be a problem? I will stop from now on

Yes, it can get your Upwork account suspended. Anyways, what's done now is done, block them now, and don't communicate with prospective clients outside of Upwork ever again. (Unless there is a contract in place)

No I didn't sign to the contract. Thank you

I said that I'm not going to work for them and to not bother me. Will the link I opened be a huge problem?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Suzanna, 

As a gentle reminder, please note that users cannot communicate off Upwork until a contract has been set up on your account (the client sent an offer, and you accepted it). It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

In the meantime, it would be best if you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and this article for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
8a7fdc41
Community Member

Thank you. I didn't know any of this going into it. I apologise for communicating out of upwork. I'm a newbie here. This was a terrifying experience and to be honest I'm still terrified. I hope this won't be a huge problem. My only fear is that I opened a wps office document of the do called agreement and that my gmail and gmail password was leaked. 

I know I might be over thinking but I have no experience or knowledge over this situation so I hope you understand.

data_divas
Community Member

Also you're going to have to upload an actual profile photo of yourself.  It's required 

ruveen
Community Member

Is this mail is scam or not?

ruveen_0-1702667541458.png

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members