cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - I think I'm being overloaded by Spam

laylahicks
Layla R Member Since: Jul 3, 2016
1 of 11

I've bid on two projects that have requested I leave Upwork and forward them my resume.  They were both attempts to get my bank information.  I just received another request to send my resume to an email address.  I attached my resume to the message and told them I'd prefer we stay within Upwork.  He just said I have to send it to the email provided.  Is this correct?  What is protocol?  Seems to me my resume on my profile is sufficient, so I don't understand why I would need to send it to an email address outside of this platform.  Someone please help. I don't want to lose jobs because I'm timid about this...

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Hi Layla,

I've checked the communication you've had with prospective clients and see they asked you to communicate with them directly, off Upwork. This is a legitimate request but please do report these clients directly to Customer Support if they offer you to work and get paid off the platform, or share any other fraudulent or questionable request (ask for your bank details, copy of your ID, an advance payment or purchasing a software etc.).

Make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork which is covered by the appropriate Upwork Protection Program, and only accept to get paid through the platform.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and our

Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Untitled

View solution in original post

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
3 of 11

Layla, in addition to the good advice Vladmir shared, you should know that sending your resume is often a red flag. When you submit a proposal within Upwork there is even a note telling you not to send your resume because your work history is in your profile, as you mentioned. You shouldn't need to send your resume to a potential client and when they ask you can be almost certain they're not legit. 

laylahicks
4 of 11

Thank you!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 11

Layla, those people who asked for your resume are not real Upwork clients. They are just wasting your time and they have no intention of hiring you or paying you money.

laylahicks
6 of 11

That appears to be the case 😞  It's so very frustrating. I worked several years through this platform when it was Elance and never had this problem.  I was just trying to re-establish myself here, but the last three out of four jobs have been spam.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 11

@Layla R wrote:

I worked several years through this platform when it was Elance and never had this problem.  I was just trying to re-establish myself here, but the last three out of four jobs have been spam.

You may want to have your Elance profile copied to Upwork if this is still possible (maybe you already have, I can't say).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
laylahicks
8 of 11

That would be fantastic.  Do you have any idea how I do that? 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 11

@Layla R wrote:

That would be fantastic.  Do you have any idea how I do that? 

Before Elance closed, they sent a message to everybody inviting them to have their profile migrated. I don't know if the offer is still valid, maybe a moderator can chime in.

Otherwise, check with the customer support.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 11

Hi Layla,

You should still be able to log into your Elance account on this page, then go to My Elance and use the link to migrate your account to Upwork.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS