cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! is this a scam?

almero_analiza

Hi guys!, Im new to upwork I was just alarm because I had an interview and an offer today for a data entry job post for BBI and the interviewer offered $22 per hourh..that was cool but the funny thing was he was asking for me to send him first $20 for safety on work fee. before he sends me the contract Is this legal? or is this a scam to get money for newbies like me? he mentioned that it is acountry statute  and  required  in Bosnia. I need help on this please..thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Guru
22 REPLIES 22
almero_analiza

Hi guys!, Im new to upwork I was just alarm because I had an interview and an offer today for a data entry job post for BBI and the interviewer offered $22 per hour..that was cool but the funny thing was he was asking for me to send him first $20 for safety on work fee. before he sends me the contract Is this legal? or is this a scam to get money for newbies like me? he mentioned that it is acountry statute  and  required  in Bosnia. I need help on this please..thanks

This is a scam! Pure and simple.

Here's how it works. They offer you this really cool sounding gig. They seem lagit, and they sound lagit.

Here's the rub. They get you to send them $20. Hopefully by CC.  They skim your data, and suddenly you find yourself without a job, and without your credit rating.

No legit business EVER asks for an upfront fee to do anything. Businesses pay for drug test, license fees, and every other expense related to doing the job they are paying you to do.  If you are required to get something for a cost, then typically that's disclosed up front and you go direct with the business or agency that offers the pre-requisit.  Like for example, Adobe Photoshop. You wouldn't go through the job lister to buy the software, you would go to Adobe to buy it.

You would be surprised how many jobs suddenly go away, after they get what they want. If you have to buy something, typically, its something most people applying for the gig would normally have. No special permit or license should ever be entrusted to a job lister, to file for you. 

Hope this helps. (Kind of an expert on scams... Sorry. Get long winded on these topics.)

Normally, I think interviews do not cost that much, Liza. I am envious.  I encountered one for $5.00 only. lol. But kidding aside, we work on this platform to get compensated. The regular thing is that we browse through job posts, submit proposals, accommodate clients who wish to interview us, accept contracts and start working. We don't pay for anyone to give us work.  We use connects.  But on second thoughts, we need to have extra cash while waiting for our first job and during hibernating periods when we need to learn a new skill to sell in the marketplace in the future. Maligayang pasko pa rin sa ating dalawa! 🙂

Thanks for the feed back!..I just withdrew my application Im just worried because he gave me 20 questions that included my full name, email, cellphone# age and location ..Well that was a lesson learn for me .

He might probably have the intention to visit you in the Philippines.  Who knows?  He will need the information to locate you. lol

#badluckgoodluckwhoknows  #imoutofwits

Lol!..I dont for him if indeed he decided to visit me because I gave my husband's number who is a presendial security guard..#badluckgoodluck #itsmorefunhereintheph

Good luck to him and his bullet-proof vest! lol

Remember this:

Upwork holds all the information the listers would ever need. Listers don't need your CC, your banking information, your address, or any of your personal information. If the lister is legit, all they need is a sample of your work and a means to communicate with you, about the work they want done.  None of the information you mentioned is required to find workers, get the work done, and then pay for the work.

Helpful Hints:

If they need to chat about the job, use the Upwork messaging feature. Everything is documented and there's no room for disputes; useful if someone claims they instructed you to do something and you didn't comply.

If they need to speak with you, have them contact you via Skype.  Text back and forth, as much as you can. Keep them at a distance until you have 2 or 3 jobs that have paid.  Develop the relationship before you give them the keys to your front door... (metaphorically speaking).

Finally, don't feel bad. Most listers are honorable people who have a real need and will pay you. Definately worthy of your trust.

This is an awesome venue for Freelancer's to make a living from home. I am grateful for this service. But it never hurts to trust, but verify... hehe...

I find this very helpful, David.  I agree that "listers" (as you call them) are honorable people who need us to do work for them.  I just can't help but be puzzled as regards one client of mine whose account got suspended.  I was able to submit work and got paid for the milestone.  And then afterwards I got another client who was asking for the work that I did but she had a different name.  I mean, I don't personally mind working for another freelancer in this marketplace.  I just can't understand why there is a need for them to hide under pseudonyms.  Is it a mechanism to ensure professionalism among freelancers?  But then is it altogether easy for me to say "NO" to invitations to circumvent and practice honesty as a freelancing baby?

lysis10
Community Guru

re: "he was asking for me to send him first $20 for safety on work fee. before he sends me the contract Is this legal?"

It doesn't matter if it is legal.

It is legal for you to send me $20 right now for no reason whatsoever.

Are you going to do so?

Ana Liza, you are new, so if you don't know this, it's okay. But for future reference, this is a very simple concept:

With a real job, a client pays you money.

You pay the client nothing and you spend nothing on Upwork to apply for and get hired for a job.

With a scam, the client gets you to pay him money. The client may promise that you'll get paid a lot more, but it's a lie.

browersr
Community Guru

If someone asks you to give them money in order for them to give you more money at a later date, they are either a scam artist or a stock broker.  Some would say that's a distinction without a difference but hopefully you get the point.  Also, there are no Nigerian ministers looking to send you millions if you only wire them a good faith fee...

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ana Liza,

Please, report the client by flagging the job posting. Make sure you do not send any money to any client and do not start working without having an active contract in My Jobs tab.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have had precisely the same experience with the same company! They say they will hire me at 22$ an hour but to start working I must first pay a workers permit fee of 20$. It's a company called BBI in Bosna - I hope no one falls for this! I have reported the job post, but I am afraid they can just post under another alias? 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Keri,

Thanks for flagging the job, I see our team removed the client from the platform yesterday. It looks like you're already able to identify questionable jobs, but please do review the safety tips we shared in this thread to find some additional red flags associated with scam jobs.

Untitled

Same company made contact to me regarding a data entry opportunity. Same speil. 

I've flagged his post. Hoping to get a real employment opportunity soon!

Thanks for reporting, Callista. We'll have the job reviewed and actions taken as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork
nadeeshsl

Hi.

I had a similar experience today requesting $20. I flagged the job post as inappropriate and blocked him from sending further job invitations. Its definitely a scam.

Regards

Nadeesh

cristal22

Hi!  I got the same offer. How is it? is it scam?

Of course it is a scam.

And you know what, even if it was not a scam, it does not matter. I'm not going to pay a client so that I can work for the client.

If you're in a state that makes me pay $20 to do some freelance work for you, then your state is messed up and you need to get that state to change its laws. I don't need to bother with you. There are people all over the world who want me to work for them, and they're not asking me for money.

It is true that there are real licensing issues that SOME professionals deal with, such as a medical license, and maybe there are fees for that... But when was the last time you heard of a client (a patient) collecting state licensing fees from a doctor before the doctor can charge the patient for services? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Also, it would be up to Upwork to arrange payment of such fees, not the client. All payments need to go through Upwork. You can't pay anything directly to a client, no matter what. Even if it legitimate.

And this $20 work permit fee is definitely not legitimate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS