🐈 Community
annhurd

HIRING SCAM!!! BEWARE!!!

Fellow freelancers beware.

I joined Upwork recently and received this message:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

After being in communication with this individual a few days, it just seemed too good to be true.  And it was.  I called WellStar directly to confirm.  They do not telecommute data entry jobs.  And learned that it was reported in the news in Georgia yesterday. 

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investigates/wellstar-logo-used-by-job-scammers-to-lure-potential-victim...

9 REPLIES 9
yitwail

Ann, this has been going on for who knows how long here. At least the news report didn't mention Upwork, although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the scammers used Upwork. I can tell you this, HR managers of large companies rarely review Upwork profiles. I can't say it never happens, but it's highly unlikely.

Thanks John.  Definitely good to know for a newbie.

Unforunately, I just discovered this forum today because of this scam and felt I needed to find a way to report it. I wish I had known about the forum beforehand so as to avoid this mess.  Live and learn.

I get the impression that this person uses several sites similar to Upwork.  When I called **Edited for Community Guidelines**to confirm, the woman explained that they had been receiving phone calls from all over the U.S. from freelancers verifying information.  

@John K wrote:

At least the news report didn't mention Upwork, although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the scammers used Upwork. 

They didn't mention, but you can clearly tell from the video that is was Upwork. But only because we know it; to the outsider they wouldn't know.  

I have completed 81 jobs.
Never once have I googled the name of the client or company I am invited by or I apply to.

And I have never tried to call them up to check out if a job is real.

It's a waste of time.

Scammers just copy names of companies and HR people or other company employees off of the Internet.

A job is real if somebody offers me money to do something I know how to do, and pays me to do it. A job isn't real because of the name somebody typed in (or copied and pasted into) a text field while creating a job posting or Upwork "client company" or Upwork profile page.

@James S wrote:

@John K wrote:

At least the news report didn't mention Upwork, although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the scammers used Upwork. 

They didn't mention, but you can clearly tell from the video that is was Upwork. But only because we know it; to the outsider they wouldn't know.  

Wouldn't you know it. Upwork made the news because of the amount of scams and scammers on here.

Good to know this. I wonder about a lot of postings I see and if I didn't know better I would think that the jobs posted were being vetted in some way but unfortunatley it's often a 'free for all' without a lot of protection. 😞 Glad you realized it before you got involved in any way.

Thanks Paula.  Although some people may be better at spotting an online fraud, it's true you just never know what you're gonna get. And it's unfortunate that people enjoy taking advantage of others and their hard earned money for themselves. Too many jerks. 

These scammers copy each other. There isn't just one, there are thousands all over the world (although some countries have a far higher percentage of them, one in particular)

This particular one is at LEAST 15 years old, and has been and is being used on every platform known to man.

Upwork is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. Unless you pay close attention.

Here's a list of things to look out for:

Job posting with one-line description with no details. I don't reply to those. If you can't bother describing the project properly so I can make a good proposal, particularly if you specify a fixed fee, I can't bother replying.

I'm wary of first-time job posters, especially if the description is poor.

Job posting implying they will pay very well yet have never shown they would. Example: $1000 shown as the budget but in a few hirings, have never spent that much. Same for hourly rates. They say they are willing to pay up to a certain amount but their average job payment is many times smaller.

Any posting that says "short and easy job". It's never short and easy, at least not as much as you think it is.

A job poster that has posted many jobs but never hired anybody. With the number of responses they get, they never found the right person? Either true or they hire outside of UW.

Unsatisfied workers. Read the testimonials left by workers. One bad review of the client is one thing and will make me think twice. More than one and I don't reply as there obviously is a problem with the client.

Client posting the same kind of job each month. This may not apply for all types but it does for me (digital marketing). I've seen a few hiring very competent people for a few weeks and then hiring someone else. What was wrong with the one you hired? To me this points to a problem client.

Job posters that don't show where they are from in their profile.

Job posters with location in their profile and where UW also shows their current local time. If they say they are from New York and their local time doesn't match what that time should be, that's a warning sign. There's absolutely no reason for someone to lie about their location unless they want to deceive you in some way.