cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked My Upwork Account

kaushik160
Ace Contributor

An Annonymous  person has added Payoneer payment method. And Withdrawn my all amount. 

There are 72 hours completed and till I have no update from Upwork on my Ticket on it.

I have asked for the bank account details / Phone number / Address information of the hacker who stolen amount via Payoneer Payment method.

Upwork customer care is just replying me with they are working on it. but there is no single action on it.

My Ticket number is 12105619 , where you can find hacker email ID and his Name on Payoneer.

"**Edited for Community Guidelines**"  is the person from Security department handling my ticket.

Can somebody help me on this ?

Regards
Kaushik

73 REPLIES 73
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kaushik,

I'm sorry to hear your account was compromised. I see our team assisted you after you reported the incident, contacted Payoneer and have shared all the information we have as soon as you requested them. As stated by our agents on the main ticket and 15 additional tickets you created, we are waiting for a response from Payoneer in regards to the specific details you requested, as we don't have an insight into that information.

Please keep communicating on your main ticket and keep checking for updates our team will share once they have more information.

Thank you.

Untitled

Vladimir, Thank you so much for the reply.

It's about more than 72 hours completed. it means 3 days. And I am just getting infomation with "waiting".

I mean Upwork is not a small firm and even Payoneer is big firm. upwork  must have reply on this issues. it's very long interval.

Even Upwork don't have answer on how many hours, How many days , how many months to wait to get things solve.

It must be fast track process in such a case. and with high priority. And if you are considering "This is very high ticket/issues" then why you haven't resposne from payoneer. why such long dealy ??

There is no action at all at the moment.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kaushikbhai.

I do see that you requested the specific info on Tuesday and we have already contacted Payoneer regarding your request. We are still waiting for an update from their team.

Untitled

This qeury is not regarding to get just specific info that I have requested.

I requested those info , for my internal check out with those info.

But what upwork is doing in this situation to sort out this issues. to get money back.. ! nothing !! ? ?

The chance of getting your money back are close to 0.

It will have been turned into cash within minutes after the transaction. All Upwork can do is suspend the person who did it from the platform.

As Per my knowledge and experience with Payoneer , After withdrawing amount from upwork account it will be added to payoneer and it will be in bank account after 3 days.

@Bhavesh P wrote:

As Per my knowledge and experience with Payoneer , After withdrawing amount from upwork account it will be added to payoneer and it will be in bank account after 3 days.

After withdrawing funds from Upwork to my Payoneer card I can go to an ATM and take the cash out within 10 minutes.

Hello Petra

How you can say like that "Upwork can do is suspend the person" .  There is no such a person in upwrok. it was via payment method in way of Payoneer.

Now  his payoneer Id is ****@consultant.com

And as I have refere the blog this type of email considering as hacker . then why upwork allow to add such a emailid as payment method.

and I don't get you comment with money back chance close to 0 as it will be take time to transfer amount from payoneer to local bank account

@Kaushikbhai P wrote:

and I don't get you comment with money back chance close to 0 as it will be take time to transfer amount from payoneer to local bank account

Possibly. But it takes only minutes to drive or walk to the nearest ATM and withdraw it with the Payoneer card.

Vladimir,

Since Upwork is a financial institution would you suggest to them that they implement two-factor authentication like the banks, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft do?  That requires a code generated by or sent to your cell phone to log in (see the Google Authenticator app).  That makes this type of hacking impossible as someone who has stolen the user's password would not have stolen their cell phone too.

regards,

Walker

daisypeasblossom
Ace Contributor

Wow. That's more than a little scary. I don't use Payoneer, and after this posting would be really uncomfortable with it. I wonder how often this kind of thing happens?

@Ona J B wrote:

Wow. That's more than a little scary. I don't use Payoneer, and after this posting would be really uncomfortable with it. I wonder how often this kind of thing happens?

It has nothing to do with having a Payoneer account. Somebody broke into his Upwork account and added a Payoneer account.

Upwork may want consider adding a two steps authentication, for instance by using Google authenticatior, in order to improve account security. People are so clueless about passwords and password stealing techniques that hacking into one's account is an easy exploit.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Sir, Please read my reply to  Ona J B. for what is the possibility 

Hello Ona,

There is big mistake with notification/showing the message at added Payoneer  payment method

I haven't get the notification on my email due to hacker  got success with to break the security of upwork. 

and After successfully adding Payoneer method , you can see that Payonner( Your Upwok Account )  method. There is not emailId of that newly added Payoneer account.

How can someone identify  that this is somebody else Payoneer account as there is EmailID ( Or Name or Payoneer Account ) display in upwork ? 

The second main important things is Payoneer emailID is with XXXXX@consultant.com . You are big firm ( upwork -Payoneer) and how you allow user to add such email in payment method .

I am expecting this will be fix by upwork and also will resolve my issues at the mement. 

I've always felt that the security of my computer was my responsibility.  That if I didn't take steps to make sure that my accounts were protected by strong passwords, anti-malware software and two-step authentication, I would run the risk of being hacked.

Upwork really isn't responsible for your account security.  That is something you must attend to.  

Hello Christy, Hope you can read it properly . 

There is big mistake with notification/showing the message at added Payoneer  payment method

I haven't get the notification on my email due to hacker  got success with to break the security of upwork. 

and After successfully adding Payoneer method , you can see that Payonner( Your Upwok Account )  method. There is not emailId of that newly added Payoneer account.

How can someone identify  that this is somebody else Payoneer account as there is EmailID ( Or Name or Payoneer Account ) display in upwork ? 

The second main important things is Payoneer emailID is with XXXXX@consultant.com . You are big firm ( upwork -Payoneer) and how you allow user to add such email in payment method .

I am expecting this will be fixed by upwork and also will resolve my issue at the moment. 

@Kaushikbhai P wrote:
.........due to hacker  got success with to break the security of upwork.

That sounds most unlikely.

What is almost certainly the case is that you were not hacked as such, but downloaded a virus / trojan / fell for a phishing scam which meant you handed your log in credentials to the person who then logged into your account using your credentials and changed the details.

I hope that you have since cleaned your computer and changed all passwords for everything....

lol @ "it could be an infected server."

Good grief people l2security.

The dude fell for a phishing scam or gave his credentials to someone. They ask you a security question before you log in on a different computer as well. He's not being entirely honest or he doesn't even realize he fell for a phishing scam.

Could be a keylogger too. Who knows but it's not "upwork infected servers." lulz If that were the case, this place would be inundated with hacked account questions.

What is equally likely is that hackers bought a stolen list of emails and passwords from the data breach at LinkedIn or other sites.  People tend to reuse the same password for each site.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS