🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hacked clients account and my JSS as a casual...
Page options
kirke_
Community Member

Hacked clients account and my JSS as a casualty??

Hi. Hope you all are safe these days. Let me tell you an interesting story.

A couple of weeks ago I received a direct offer from a new client related to advertising strategies. The offer and the task seemed reasonable so I accepted this per hour. 

In a day or so the client writes to me -> **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Well, ok... The client says he is reaching out to Upwork support to help him with that. Eventually, the client closes the contract without me not even working a minute or an hour. I am aware that every closed contract without payment hurts my JSS score. So I am writing to the support of Upwork and asking that this contract is removed from my profile and my history. 

I received the following answer:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Was it a useful answer? Nope. Was it escalated further? No idea. 

But what I have an idea is that today I am checking new updates and I see my JSS down to 88. Within two last weeks, I have received 2 excellent feedbacks (yes, I know also that the secret ones since I continue working with both clients with new contracts) and I have had this closed contract. Not difficult to calculate from where it comes. 

Despite my requests to remove this contract as literally I was just a casualty in this situation, the contract is left on my profile and my JSS falls. 

Where else I can bring it up if Upwork does not deal with it? That's it? Should I simply accept that such things happen?

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Kristine S wrote:

Despite my requests to remove this contract as literally I was just a casualty in this situation, the contract is left on my profile and my JSS falls. 

Use your perk if you haven't used it in the last 3 months and 10 contracts.

It actually sounds like the client had a change of heart, as Support would have seen it had the client been hacked.

kirke_
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your answer. 

I don't think that the client changed his opinion. That's what I got - see attached. 

Can I use my perks also if I did not get any feedback? The contract was simply closed. 

petra_r
Community Member

Kristine S wrote:

Can I use my perks also if I did not get any feedback? The contract was simply closed. 

Yes, you can! Just ask for the contract's impact on the JSS to be removed. That is exactly what the perk is there for, to help you protect yoursef from negative factors that aren't your fault.

But if someone doesnt have a perk to use.
And it is still not your fault..?
What to do then?

Exactly!

Karin S wrote:
But if someone doesnt have a perk to use.
And it is still not your fault..?
What to do then?

**Edited for Community Guidelines** the bad review and let it fall off in 6 months.

Very fair..Jennifer..

kirke_
Community Member

In case if that file is not opening, here is what the client wrote via the official
Upwork chat:

I am really not interested if he was drunk, or hacked, or whatever, but if he informs that it was a mistake or hacked account, these freelancers to whom offers were sent out and then closed should not really suffer. 

kirke_
Community Member

As "community guidelines" did not allow to use the excerpts from chats and emails (without any IDs or private info recognizable) I will tell you explain in my own words:

1) The client says that his account was hacked and while he slept some 'hacker' sent out offers to his three open jobs

2) Client contacts Upwork and then closes the contract

3) I contact Upwork asking to remove this job from my history

4) They answer that they will escalate it if they will be sure that the account was hacked and if not, then I should use my JSS perk. 

Or it is also against community guidelines?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members