🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Handling unresponsive clients
Page options
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Handling unresponsive clients

I have a client who has gone unresponsive several times.  We started the project fine, momentum was great, then the client disappeared for a couple weeks.  This left me hanging and having to balance the work from several other contracts simultaneously.  I could not take on new work in the event that the client suddenly wanted to get going on the project again - I would also want to jump on this project in an attempt to finish and clear it as soon as possible.

Finally, after speaking with the client and beginning the project again, the project was started again.  And, once again, the client dropped off the radar.  As in other instances, the client stated they would be back on a certain day to provide more details.  Once again, that day came and went with no word from the client. 

I have messaged the client several times, but it is not my responsibility to keep after someone.

Since I am at the point where the project is almost finished (minus the usual revisions and tweaks), I decided to submit it to the client.  I am doing this because this is the deliverable that they are paying for, up to the point that they have stopped communicating with me.  My thoughts are that by doing this, they have everything they've paid for to this point.  

I have also closed the contract and selected the unresponsive client option.  My thoughts in doing so are that either this will prompt the client to take action, or, automatically close after their review period is over.

Thoughts?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Jeremiah,

If this was a fixed price project and you closed the project, your client will have a choice whether or not to pay you for your work to date.

If this was an hourly project and you closed it, you'll be paid for the work time you properly tracked using TimeTracker.

I too often have clients go AWOL for a few or many weeks. I ask them after about four weeks if there is more work to be done. If there is still no response after another 2- 4 weeks, I close the project and tell the client I'll be happy to re-start at any time (whether or not that's true).

And then I give them no more thought unless I hear from them, though I do check to see if they leave any feedback from me over the next 14 days. They rarely do, but no such feedback has included a complaint that I closed the project. In fact, a fair few apologize for being unresponsive. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

My thoughts in doing so are that either this will prompt the client to take action, or, automatically close after their review period is over.

You are misunderstanding how this works. You already closed the contract, there is no more closing. This is done. If the client leaves feedback or not within the 14 day period has nothing to do with closing it. 

I probably would have proceeded a little differently, by alerting the client that you are going to end the contract, not suprise him with it. You can't earn any money on this contract any longer, so it's not the best way to stir up a client that is unresponsive. 

I had considered that as well.  What I had really wanted to do was "submit work for review" but that option is not available and I couldn't find it anywhere.  That would have been my first choice.

So it was an hourly contract. There is no submit button for hourly. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Jeremiah,

If this was a fixed price project and you closed the project, your client will have a choice whether or not to pay you for your work to date.

If this was an hourly project and you closed it, you'll be paid for the work time you properly tracked using TimeTracker.

I too often have clients go AWOL for a few or many weeks. I ask them after about four weeks if there is more work to be done. If there is still no response after another 2- 4 weeks, I close the project and tell the client I'll be happy to re-start at any time (whether or not that's true).

And then I give them no more thought unless I hear from them, though I do check to see if they leave any feedback from me over the next 14 days. They rarely do, but no such feedback has included a complaint that I closed the project. In fact, a fair few apologize for being unresponsive. 

I decided to go with one of your comments as well.  I let the client know that I closed the contract since I did not receive any follow ups, but that I would be more than happy to revisit the project when they have more availability.

I think thats a good middle ground.

hglewis
Community Member

Hey Jeremiah,

Been there, done that! And I feel for you.

Clients will be clients. Some are attentive, yet others are store shoppers.

I came. I bought. I'm leaving.

It sucks, but as long as you fulfilled your end of the contract, honestly, just move on.

You and I are in the business of providing freelance services to our clients. That's it!

There's no guarantee of continued communication, responding to our questions promptly, or giving us the time of day.

I realize this sounds blunt and harsh, but from the client's position, we are merely the hired help.

But let's not forget, neither you nor I know what's happening on the client's end. 

Their absence may not be intentional.

Their workload, company obligations, or circumstances beyond their control is pulling them away.

So don't take it personally. Best of luck to you!

39bc8d46
Community Member

I guess it's better you contact upwork customer service and they will figure it out for you.

Danchao M wrote:

I guess it's better you contact upwork customer service and they will figure it out for you.

No, there is nothing customer service has to figure out. The freelancer made a mistake because he didn't know the difference between fixed and hourly contracts. 

Customer service can't force clients to respond to you. 

Danchao M wrote:

Uh, no. Upwork does not intervene in contracts in this way, and calling them for support won't achieve anything other than overloading the service reps by trying to get them to do work that is your responsibility as a freelancer. Communicating with your clients is your responsibility not Upwork's. If someone goes AWOL in the middle of a project, you have a number of options. One might be to email them and tell them that you won't be able to work on their project until they get back to you and that, once they do, you will no longer be able to prioritize their project. 

There are probably a lot more options other than the ones discussed above. Taking on clients does not mean I allow them to rule my time or the income I get from other projects. And yes, I run the risk of a client not liking the limits I set, but that's part of what I signed on for when I decided to freelance.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members