cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone been asked to have a background check done?

Highlighted
Julie F Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
1 of 10

I was invited to apply for a position.  The job seemed promising, client had a good average rating of reviews, looks like they had a history of working since July 2014.

But a few things alarmed me, you could not see any history of their previous postings? (Is it possible they were a client transferred over from Elance?)  And one of the questions from the posting asked, "Would you be willing to undergo a background check? This is a requirement of the position."

I've been trying to look for some kind of privacy policy regarding giving personal information, relating to an issue like this, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Could someone confirm that this information could not be given out?

If not, should this be reported?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 10

There is a scam on here where they send you to a page (insecure of course) where you pay for a background check.

Don't give anyone sensitve data like social security number. What is this for? The only time I'd think a background check is warranted would be if someone is hiring a lawyer or an accountant and they want to verify someone's license. 

Other than that, I'd tell them that they are happy to search my name and hope they enjoy my n00ds.

Highlighted
3 of 10

Thanks for the reply, the reason why I questioned if it wasn't a scam was because of their job history.

I absolutely agree for not giving any personal information, including SSN of course.  That's why I was trying to find a policy to inform them of in reply to their question.  And I have seen the posting of people being sent for background checks and even having to pay for them, which I absolutely would NOT do.

The position is not for any type of legal or accounting position, but for administrative support.  I've googled the company and the person, and it looks like they deal with healthcare, which I understand as a concern for HIPAA policies.  

I'll definitely just let them know "NO" on the background check.

Thanks again for your help! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 10

Being a paralegal, I have no problem with a background check AFTER I'm hired.  Never before and never at my expense $$.  Seems unnecessary.  I have worked with lots of HIPAA situations and never had to do a background check for any jobs except federal government jobs.

Another issue is that many companies subscribe to a service whereby they can obtain background results and pertinent information that is part of the public record.  They would not necessary need permission to do this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 10

" I've googled the company and the person, and it looks like they deal with healthcare"

Julie, do not have anything to do with this client and report him/her. It is an ongoing scam and as soon as Upwork takes down one posting, they come back with another. They use many reputable online healthcare companies as a front and offer training etc - superficially it looks OK - don't go there. If you have a name of the healthcare company, check with them.

I had to block this so-called client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 10

Nichola, you are jumping to conclusions which are most likely wrong in this case. The "healthcare scammers" NEVER had any history because they NEVER EVER verified a payment method.

So this is very different. Just because a client is in the healthcare sector does NOT make them a scammer. It's a huge sector.

I have had two background checks done for 2 Upwork contracts, it is not in itself a sign of a scam., as long as one stays sensible about it, does not hand over sensitive data, and does not pay for anything.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 10

I am sure you are right, Petra. I wouldn' t dare to argue and I bow to your better judgement. 

OP please ignore what I have just said.

Highlighted
8 of 10

Thanks for you input Petra.

Do you know if it's frowned upon to have a background check done, of course after being hired for a contract?  I have had to sign an NDA, but nothing of this sort where I may have to provide personal/sensitive information.

Did you have any sensitivities or concerns about providing that when you were asked for the contracts you mentioned?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 10

Julie, I was ID verified with Upwork so I won't provide a client with any documents (passport scan, utility bills etc.) but will agree to have a background check done because that does not negatively affect me.

Many industries who handle sensitive data (such as those in the healthcare sector) require background checks, it is not, in itself, a red flag.

Never pay for such a thing, and never give out documents or sensitive data to some anonymous Internet user, and it can't do you any harm. The vast majority of Out and Out scammers don't have  history of completed projects, they either have none at all, or one small job to make themselves look more legit.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
10 of 10

Hi Julie,

Just wanted to add my personal experience, I underwent Background checks on two occassions and both turned out to be long term assignments....

So 'it' can be a good sign as well, fingers crossed Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS