cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had a company mail you a check for equipment they require you to have?

buildchic
Danielle Y Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
1 of 6

I am new to Upworks and received an Invite to interview. I had an interview via Google Hangouts and received an offer. Now the company is mailing me a check to cash and buy the software they want me to use.... Has anyone encountered this?

hodgesh
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

This is a scam. Cease communication, don't cash the check, flag the job and file a ticket with support.

View solution in original post

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 6

It's a well known scam and the check will bounce, but to answer your question, no I have never had anyone mail me a check because I read the ToS when I signed up and I know that it is against Upwork policy to receive money off platform and it could get me suspended.

Please report the client. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
buildchic
Danielle Y Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
4 of 6

Thanks. I reported it.

gwen53
Gwen M Member Since: Aug 19, 2016
5 of 6

Yes, same thing.  Just checked the check out with issuing bank.  Informed me the check was fraugulent.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 6

@Gwen M wrote:

Yes, same thing.  Just checked the check out with issuing bank.  Informed me the check was fraugulent.

Before you do any more interviews please make yourself familiar with the rules of the site.  You accepted payment outside the platform which can get you suspended. It's very important to read all the help materials and ToS to keep your account safe.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS