cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Has anyone heard of ** with **?

angelasmithplano
Angela S Member Since: Nov 14, 2016
1 of 5

I was invited to interview with a person calling themself **Edited for Community Guidelines** with a company called **Edited for Community Guidelines**. We interviewed via text. Has anyone else came across this person?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

Angela:

It is not acceptable to ask about clients by name like this.

It is a violation of Community Forum rules.

Also, it shows that you do not understand how Upwork works, and you do not understand how scammers work.

You never need to ask about clients by name. And doing so would serve no purpose, even it were allowed.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 5

With all due respect.... stop googling and investigating potential clients. It is an entirely pointless waste of time.

All you need to know is whether said client sends you an official contract VIA UPWORK and has a verified payment method before you do any work for them. Once you have an offer email which looks like this

offer.jpg

you can accept it and a contract (!!) appears in your "My Jobs" page

It is almost impossible to be scammed if you stick to the simplest of rules. Don't entertain anyone suggesting payment outside Upwork & don't do any work without a contract in place, hourly or fully funded fixed rate, with a client whose payment method is verified at the time you start to work.

Apart from the fact that naming clients or their company name in the forum is strictly against forum rules, it is also entirely pointless.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

PS:

The job description is copied from the internet and mindlessly cobbled together.

I think it would be better if you did not accept invites until you have educated yourself a little more as to how Upwork works and how to be safe.

In the meantime, only apply to jobs with clients who have a decent hiring history and a verified payment method, because you're not ready for the Wild West of new and unverified clients (who can be super lucrative but naive newbies will likely only fall for the time-wasters and scammers) yet.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Angela,

I'll reiterate that the important thing you need to focus on when interviewing with a potential client is to:

• copy the terms you agreed on in Messages, if you communicated outside Upwork,
  • make sure the client has a verified payment method before you accept their official offer on Upwork
  • start working only after you confirm a contract is created on Upwork and is covered by an appropriate Upwork Payment Protection Program
  • only accept to get paid through the platform and never pay in order to qualify or start working on a job

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs we shared in this thread, and other valuable resources listed here.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS