cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone worked for **? Are they legit?

Highlighted
Goldie K Member Since: Jun 9, 2016
1 of 40

I got an invitation stating to contact a **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I've researched the company and it is real but I'm concerned that it could be someone using the company name. I do think this is a real job I'm just a skeptic. They haven't asked me for any money, actually quite opposite, they have sent me a check of almost $3000 to pay for the cost of software needed to do the position stated. I'm just trying to be cautious especially since I've never done any online work. Please let me know if you have worked for them or what you think about this situation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 40

DO NOTHING WITH THE CHECK, AND REPORT THIS PERSON IMMEDIATELY TO UPWORK. IT'S A SCAM.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 40

Goldie, I'm echoing Virginia. Report the job to CS and block the client from your messages.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

And before you bid on any jobs or answer any invitations, do yourself a favour and read the ToS and Terms of Use and all the help pages, as well as checking into the forum. This is one of the oldest scams going.

Did you give these people any other information, like bank details etc.?

Highlighted
4 of 40
The only info I gave them was my address
Highlighted
5 of 40
How do I report this?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 40

@Goldie K wrote:
How do I report this?

I gave you the link. You should be able to do it from there, unless you are still waiting to have your profile verified?

Highlighted
7 of 40
I flagged the posting
Highlighted
8 of 40
This certainly makes me feel like all Internet jobs are scams. I'm new to upworks and this was my first experience obviously a bad one.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 40

You should not have researched the company!!

That is a big rookie mistake.

That is a major part of the scammer's trick. They know newbies will research the company name they provide them with, and the trap is set.

Newbies should never Google or research the company name or client name.  ONLY use the information provided on the Upwork website.

(Until you have experience... Then researching may be okay, but I never do.)

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
10 of 40
This widget could not be displayed.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS