🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Has anyone worked with Gyptex, Inc.?
Page options
amy-mead
Community Member

Has anyone worked with *edited*

I just received my first offer. 

Has anyone worked with **edited for Community Guidelines**

They sent a private invitation to over 100 freelancers and offered me the position without an interview.  I wonder if this is a real offer.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

John is right.

Without knowing more, we can't say for certain whether or not this is legitimate.

If you think this may be a legitimate way that you can earn money, the you should feel free to continue going through the process of getting hired by them.

But just be sure to check in with us about each step, so we can guide you.

Because you are so new, there is a strong chance that this is a scam, and we want to help you avoid any trouble. If you check with us here in this thread, before doing anything, we'll be able to tell you what you need to know.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
yitwail
Community Member

Amy, I haven't worked for them, and probably the offer is not legit, because most clients sending 100 invitations are working a scam of some sort. And one of the features of the Upwork site is that a client can claim to represent some mega corporation while having nothing to do with the corporation in question, although Gyptex I learned does crypto gaming, so might not exactly be a mega corporation. For what it's worth, I looked at their website and they have application forms, but it seems very unlikely they'd send job offers without even interviewing.

I'd also recommend first taking a quick look at this topic, which has information on some common Upwork scams:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Thank you for your feedback.  I appreciate knowing that I can get answers like this from the Upwork community.  I will post again if or when I hear back from them,

Amy

prestonhunter
Community Member

John is right.

Without knowing more, we can't say for certain whether or not this is legitimate.

If you think this may be a legitimate way that you can earn money, the you should feel free to continue going through the process of getting hired by them.

But just be sure to check in with us about each step, so we can guide you.

Because you are so new, there is a strong chance that this is a scam, and we want to help you avoid any trouble. If you check with us here in this thread, before doing anything, we'll be able to tell you what you need to know.

Thank you all for your insights.

I will post back here if I even hear back from this company.

Amy

Thank you, I will proceed with caution.

Amy

So this morning I received another message with more details about the tasks associated with the job and a formal contract 

The hiring person writes perfectly and the offer makes sense for the type of business they are promoting.  

Here is the initial communication.

**Edited for community guidelines**

This all sounds good.  So I replied with interest and paraphrased the job duties for clarification.

So I replied again with the following questions and concerns:

Next, I got back on Upwork and sent him another quick message inquiring about the time difference for training.  

He replied saying that I would not have to work at night and that the person I will work with will be on my time-zone.

So if this a scam,  it is a really good one.  The job and the pay are almost too good to be true. 

Any input or thought would be much appreciated.  Naturally, I want this job, but???

Sorry, this is so long.

Thanks Upwork Gurus.

Amy M wrote:

Any input or thought would be much appreciated.  Naturally, I want this job, but???

Amy, run. This is money laundering or worse. It is a scam, and a very bad one. 

There is a ton of red flags that you overlooked. Never ever do any money transactions. 

Thank you, that was kind of what I was thinking too.

I got here after the directly quoted passages were edited out. But this is all I need to see:

Amy M wrote@amy-mead wrote:

The job and the pay are almost too good to be true. 

There is no "almost too good to be true." There is "good work that I can do well but I wish it paid better" and there is "finally getting paid what I'm worth, after all these years" and there is "too good to be true, therefore, it must not be true." 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths