🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Hate Speech from Client
Page options
ahmed-sayed112
Community Member

Hate Speech from Client

Hello All, 

I have worked with the client on some project, then she refused to pay and we get into dispute then she also refused to pay and we had to get into arbitration So, I have stopped since the total money in the escrow is less than the arbitration fees, then she started making fun of me with racism words as you can see in the attached screenshots. All I need please is my right. Thanks in advance. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ahmed: I read all of what you posted in those screenshots.

This client said nothing racist.

It is totally inappropriate for you to throw the R-word around like that.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
petra_r
Community Member

Ahmed S wrote:

...then she started making fun of me with racism words as you can see in the attached screenshots. 

There was nothing racist about those comments. Without seeing what she is responding to, it's hard to judge anyway.

Ahmed S wrote:

All I need please is my right.

What right? You have the right to stop communicating with that client.

Stop arguing with an ex client. It's a complete waste of time and emotion. Walk away. This is over.

Hello Petra,

I have added my last message in the thread to her I just thanked her despite she actually scammed me and took my work and didn't pay. I have edited it to be hate speech I think this would more suitable. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ahmed: I read all of what you posted in those screenshots.

This client said nothing racist.

It is totally inappropriate for you to throw the R-word around like that.

Hello Preston,

I have added my last message in the thread to her I just thanked her despite she actually scammed me and took my work and didn't pay. I have edited it to be hate speech I think this would more suitable. 

Ahmed:

I am sorry if you are disappointed by how things went with this client.

You should let this go. Put it in the past.

If you have specific questions about mistakes that you made, please ask questions about how you can do things differently in the future.

Ahmed S wrote:

I have edited it to be hate speech I think this would more suitable. 

It's not hate speech either. Stop arguing with the client. Nothing good can ever come out of that. Stop. Walk away. It's over.

tlbp
Community Member

Ahmed S wrote:

Hello All, 

I have worked with the client on some project, then she refused to pay and we get into dispute then she also refused to pay and we had to get into arbitration So, I have stopped since the total money in the escrow is less than the arbitration fees, then she started making fun of me with racism words as you can see in the attached screenshots. All I need please is my right. Thanks in advance. 

Upwork doesn't punish people for being mean. Upwork might punish someone for not paying. But, you have to pursue payment for that to happen. If you drop the matter, then the scammer gets to scam. 

A big problem with this thread was that the original poster "muddied the waters" by referring to "racism" when there was no racism present. And then referred to "hate speech" when there was no hate speech present. So if there was any real issue of a client not paying a freelancer for work, that got lost in the shuffle.

If the original poster's goal was to get paid for work he has completed and not yet paid for, or to get advice about such a situation... he undermined his goal by bringing in other stuff. And doing so in a way that turned sentiment against him.

This has nothing to do with the original post: There was a man who went to the donut shop to buy two dozen donuts for a work meeting. But there was a big line. He did not want to wait, so he loudly proclaimed he needs a manager to help him because the the shop's delivery truck ran into his car. The manager did indeed come out to talk to him immediately. But the man had walked to the shop. He had no car there. Things went downhill from there.

Hello Preston, 

Thanks a lot for your time you shared to expect my story but advice don't judge the whole story with just the title. If you need to know the whole story here it is :

1- On Saturday Saturday, May 8, 2021, I have accepted by the client under the contract number 27039413 and we agreed that I would make the methodology and findings part and the R code and this for 300 USD and someone else called **Edited for Community Guidelines** would do the background and abstract parts here is the link for his profile as he witnessed everything

2- Then she added me to Joseph’s upwork conversion room in which three of us were communicating. 

3- I have submitted part of the code and asked her to extend the deadline for just one day to not be in hurry in the writing part and she said Okay as you can see in the attached screenshot.

4- Then after just a few hours I have submitted for her the completed document and code and she thanked us and kicked me out of the conversation, I have not given due for this maybe she needs to talk privately to **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

5- I waited for like 2 days and asked her to please accept the milestone as we already finished everything, she told me she would be happy to do that but she wouldn’t because as she said I missed the deadline I told her I have asked you for that and you accepted so she doesn’t have any replies so she created a new empty argument with saying she needed to make edits. So if I missed the deadline so my work is useless how she make edits for something that won’t be used?!. And she offered to pay a reduced amount I told her okay how much you need to pay I am okay with 250 as at first, I told her I would do the task with an amount from 250-300 USD. 

6- I continued to send her messages asking her to pay me and she kept ignoring me for almost two weeks now.

7- I worked upwork with different clients from different cultures and countries on different types of tasks no one complained from me no one delayed me payment and refused to pay like that I don’t know what she needs really

Finally, you can proof everything from the chatting room under the number **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

It doesn't MATTER!

It's over. You conceded the dispute.  You have sold the work elsewhere (Or at least you (probably untruthfully) claim to have done so in your thinly veiled threatening message to the client).

There is no longer any point whining about it or arguing with the client or violating the rules of this forum by repeatedly posting screenshots of private conversations between the client and yourself. You are not allowed to do that.

Just learn from it and move on. Never contact the client again. There was no racicm. There was no hate speech. There was a mismanaged contract. It's over now.

Move on!!

Okay, Thanks, Petra, I don't think you would feel what I feel I have worked on that for more than two consecutive two days, and then I had been cursed and got nothing except accused that I am a scammer it is really difficult for me and it is the first time that happens to me.

Ahmed S wrote:

and then I had been cursed

Cursed? There is nothing in those screenshots that shows the client cursing you at all...

First you claimed the client was racist to you, which was a lie. Then you claimed the client used hate speech, which was also a lie. Now you claim the client cursed you... What next?

Let it go. You had the opportunity to continue with the dispute. You declined. The end.

In future, don't accept contracts you can't fully complete properly inside the time and in high quality (writing). Then things like this won't happen.

Time to move on.

Hello Petra, 

For you words like "uneducated", "looser", "scammer", "trash" etc are not hate speech or cursing, Okay

According to the quality and deadline if you checked the screenshots you would find that she accepted the extension and if she had refused I would have finished it on time but she accepted to extend, also she has not said a word according to code or writing before asking her for payment. Anyway, I have already disputed but how on earth I pay 300 USD to get 260 USD. Anyway, Thanks Petra for your advice but each one has its own standards I don't accept anyone telling me that I am uneducated and dishonest and consider this as hate speech and cursing. 

Ahmed S wrote:

For you words like "uneducated", "looser", "scammer", "trash" etc are not hate speech or cursing, Okay

It's true that your client said mean things to you, but it still doesn't qualify as racism or "hate speech" because there's no mention of your race, ethnicity, religion or whatever. I also don't see any swearing in the jpgs that you attached. She was unhappy with your work and didn't want to pay you. You could have chosen to go to mediation about this, but you didn't. 

Ahmed S wrote:

I don't accept anyone telling me that I am uneducated and dishonest and consider this as hate speech and cursing. 

You don't have to accept it - you can choose never to work with this client again. 

Okay, Thanks Christine for your advice I really appreciate it. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Ahmed,

I understand that you may be frustrated with the way the contract turned out. Majority of the contracts on Upwork are completed successfully and without any issues. However, in those few cases when things don't go as expected, Upwork provides its users with tools and assistance through mediation and arbitration process. Check out this help article as well as Upwork Escrow Instructions for more information. 

Additionally, I'd like to mention that if you believe any content is inappropriate or in violation of Upwork TOS, the best way to report it would be to use the "flag" options you'll see throughout the site. Check out this help article for more information about how you can report a specific message for team's review.

I'll also be closing this thread from further replies.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths