🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Have client with suspended account who is...
Page options
donnamcfarland
Community Member

Have client with suspended account who is becoming belligerent

Hi, I have a client whose account was suspended. She has been assuring me that the problem will be solved by 11/14 and we have been communicating about her job, but I have not sent her any work, obviously. This evening she has become belligerent and is demanding I send her a proof tonight (her account is still on hold). Am I obligated to stick with this client? Can I cancel the contract without any negative repercussions to myself? She has not paid me anything as her account was suspended shortly after she hired me.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Donna M wrote:

Thank you. The proof in this case is the product -- a book proof, which is the job the contract is for. My fear is that she is being so unreasonable right now, that if I keep the job she will give me a lousy review because she's mad I'm not meeting her deadline (tonight). She has no reason to be mad. I haven't delivered because her account is on hold and I have explained multiple times that we have to wait until she solves that problem. I am wondering if I can get out so she won't blast me with her review.

If nothing was paid there will be no visible feedback on your profile, and contracts with suspended clients are excluded from your JSS calculation anyway, so the only way canceling this contract can affect you would be if the client resolves their issue with Upwork, which I suspect they have no intention of doing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
browersr
Community Member

First, you are under no obligation to work with anyone. You can cancel at any time. However, of course you do want to consider whether that makes sense and if so, when.

What is she demanding proof of since nothing has been paid? Is this fixed or hourly? It's unclear what "proof" means and of course you should not under any circumstances send her any deliverable given her account status. If she is demanding you send her deliverables then I would just explain that UW has a policy that all work suspends under these situations. Given her account status, regardless of when she thinks it will clear, is no reason to begin working. Once her account is reinstated, then a discussion about deliverables can be had.

I don't see a great incentive to close the contract at this time. I'd wait until the 14th and see what happens. There is no harm in keeping it open and there is the chance that things will work out. That will go away immediately if you close. Yes, closing a contract like this can have negative consequences although others here are better able to explain the likelihood, etc. Regardless, I wouldn't rush here. 

You owe her the same thing she has given you: nothing.

Flip things around in your mind. If YOU were the client and your account was suspended... and you had never paid the freelancer any money at all...

Would you be belligerent and demanding? Or would you be slightly embarrassed and humble?

I think you would be patient and say something like this:

"I am so sorry about this. I am going to get this worked out with Upwork. I really hope you will hang in there with me until I can get the problem with my credit card worked out. I realize this is not your fault. Of course you should hold off on this project until I can pay you."

Thank you. The proof in this case is the product -- a book proof, which is the job the contract is for. My fear is that she is being so unreasonable right now, that if I keep the job she will give me a lousy review because she's mad I'm not meeting her deadline (tonight). She has no reason to be mad. I haven't delivered because her account is on hold and I have explained multiple times that we have to wait until she solves that problem. I am wondering if I can get out so she won't blast me with her review.

Hi Donna, 

I checked the contract you are referring to, and would definitely recommend not working on the project until the limitation to the contract has already been lifted. The client will need to sort out the issue with their account, and until then, it is recommended that you do not do work for the contract. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Donna M wrote:

If nothing was paid there will be no visible feedback on your profile, and contracts with suspended clients are excluded from your JSS calculation anyway, so the only way canceling this contract can affect you would be if the client resolves their issue with Upwork, which I suspect they have no intention of doing.

Thank you! That was the info I needed to go ahead and cancel her contract when I got another long and angry message from her this morning. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths