Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you noticed or it is just me?

moti01
Community Leader
Abdulmoti S Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
1 of 13

I have noticed some job posts who seem to require highest quality with very low rate, and add the message "This is just the beginning more projects to come",  Is this a strategy to tickle the freelancer's greediness and trick them to provide the highest quality with extremely low rates? I can't understand what is the relevance between the job on hand and what is to come. 

To me it is simple, pay me what my work actually worth and we talk about projects to come when they come. 

Do freelancers fall for the promise of what to come and accept very low rate for a big job?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 13

Jennifer M once (maybe more than once) said that she wanted more money and less work. Every time I look at this type of job, I remember her words.

And yes, I often see clients putting $$$ expert with minimal rates. They are the sort of clients whose egos vastly exceed their capabilities.

moti01
Community Leader
3 of 13

@Nichola L wrote:

Jennifer M once (maybe more than once) said that she wanted more money and less work. Every time I look at this type of job, I remember her words.

And yes, I often see clients putting $$$ expert with minimal rates. They are the sort of clients whose egos vastly exceed their capabilities.

I like Jennifer's view on this.. more money, less work but high quality results. That is how it should be, but taking advantage of people's hard work for a promise to come is just not right. There is no favors here, it is business, I offer quality service and I expect to be paid its actual value. Simple as that Smiley Happy ... I hope Freelancers won't fall for that, I saw some who worked with less than $2 dollars an hour, that is just not right. And based on their rating, they seem to have done an excellent job. 

bc94
Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
4 of 13
I've seen tons of those.

IMO, it's not really that bad, because cheap clients get cheap freelancers (usually with really low quality) and they get the quality they paid for.
while those freelancers usually end up with bad reviews after a stressful job with (usually) an unprofessional client.
taish0
Ryszard J Member Since: Nov 6, 2016
5 of 13

It is indeed a way to make freelancers work for less than they would normally do. If I see a low rate, I don't want more projects to come, I just start looking at another offer.

I also avoid projects with the cliche phrases: "This is an easy job if you know what you are doing.", "Simple job", "Easy job". If it's so easy, why don't you do it yourself (VBA macros)? If you don't know how to do it, let me judge whether it's easy or not. If you know how to do it, just really have no time, don't show disrespect, claiming that I do something what is trivial.

I have seen one project with a guy claiming that the project should not take more than 2 hours for an expert (5 hours minimum in my estimation), and he could do it himself, but it's "too time consuming". So with one phrase he wanted to suggest that the job is quick and you should not charge much, and with the other - that it is very easy as even he can do it. He forgot to make up a better excuse than "too time consuming" 2 hours.

three-eleven
Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
6 of 13

More projects to come is actually one of 'red' flags for me, especially when it is being talked to lower my rate significantly.

Same as 'easy' job, easy? just couple of minutes? do it yourself, dude! - red flag again. I can only make a smile how being easy work forced person to spend say 15-30 mins for job posting and interview to explain what is needed, what a **Edited for Community Guidelines** excuse.

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
moti01
Community Leader
7 of 13

@Ryszard J wrote:

I have seen one project with a guy claiming that the project should not take more than 2 hours for an expert (5 hours minimum in my estimation), and he could do it himself, but it's "too time consuming". So with one phrase he wanted to suggest that the job is quick and you should not charge much, and with the other - that it is very easy as even he can do it. He forgot to make up a better excuse than "too time consuming" 2 hours.

lol I actually this type, who says, it should only take you 1 hour or 2 if you know what you are doing, or I would have done it myself but I don't have time... these really show disrespect for freelancing industry, underminding people and it kills the morale and the intend could only be minimizing the effort of some one. 

As you said if it is that easy, do it yourself, and if you have no time, make the time or just ask help without the ego and demotivating words.  I don't even bother with jobs that have such phrases. It is old strategy, put the person down so that they get confused about how to value their work and most likely ask for low rate because their confidence in themselves has been shaken, I hope none or very few freelancers fall for such nonsense. 

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
8 of 13

The best response is so simple; in fact this response would sincerely work for so many of the Upwork Freelancer challenges..."Just say no."

three-eleven
Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
9 of 13

@Pat M wrote:

The best response is so simple; in fact this response would sincerely work for so many of the Upwork Freelancer challenges..."Just say no."

it is not that obvious from the start, sometime client is stealing your time explaining how serious work is and that he/she needs a quality, but then spends significant amount of time trying to negotioate rate twice low on the sum of less then 50-100 $, saying he/she needs to talk to boss. I can understand that boss may be a nazi on finances, but i am more than sure that doesn't apply to that example.

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
dvillares
Ace Contributor
Daniel C Member Since: Jul 22, 2016
10 of 13

I think those clients don't want to "commit" to a freelancer they never worked with. They think that they can pay as little as possible, find the "right person" AND THEN eventually pay (for the second job, of course) what the freelancer is actually worth.

What they don't realize is that by paying peanuts they're actually sabotaging their chances of finding a good freelancer. So they end up with someone who can barely speak English and who'' call them "sir".

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS