Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a hard time getting projects

Sreya S Member Since: Nov 10, 2017
1 of 5

Hello everyone,

It's  been a month since I'm on Upwork.

I got my first client super quickly but he turned out to be a crook.

Then a got my second client soon after, the project was a short one but was successful.

Since then I have been sending proposals everyday, quite a few clients have initated the chat through my proposal but then they don't say anything. 

I am really getting demoralized and don't know what's going wrong.

Please help.

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
2 of 5

There's probably nothing wrong. It just takes time, and a lot of failure. Even established freelancers lose a lot of projects they bid on. As a newbie, getting 1 client every 20 or 30 bids is not unusual. Sometimes even more. Last year I had a dry spell where I got nothing new for over 2 solid months.

Just keep writing short, good, on-point proposals for jobs where you are a good fit. The more you are a specific match to the job, the better your chances.

Expect clients who decide not to hire you to just drop things and not contact you again. It's sort of like shopping in a mall, if you visit 6 stores looking for the perfect whatever and then find it in the 7th, you're not going to go back to the other 6 and tell them you decided to buy it elsewhere. It feels bad at first, but don't let it get to you.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
3 of 5

Hi Sreya,

Charles is right. You may also want to consider checking out these blog articles to help you write winning proposals, improve your profile and tips on how to be successful on Upwork. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Sreya S Member Since: Nov 10, 2017
4 of 5

Hi Joanne,

I went through the "winning proposals" article. It says "include your samples in the beginning of your proposal." How to do that? There is a dedicated "Attachments" section given for proposals as far as I've seen.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
5 of 5

Hi Sreya, 

Yes you can include it on your proposal, you can add your sample work on another paragraph or you can use the attachment option.

-Joanne
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS