🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Having a problem with a client demanding ...
Page options
karla-lozano
Community Member

aHaving a problem with a client demanding more work than expected

5 REPLIES 5
jr-translation
Community Member

If you have done the work agreed before the milestone was set up by the client, use the official "summit work and reques payment" button. If the client refuses to release the payment you can dispute the money in escrow.

Karla:

This whole arrangement is murky, and you already know that.

You made a mistake by not making sure the agreement was completely set in stone before you accepted the contract. Instead, you made a vague agreement to adding SEO stuff.

Your goal is not to achieve "fairness." Your goal now is to get out of this situation as elegantly as possible.

You COULD simply add what he wants, and then get the contract closed and then not work with this person again.

Alternatively, you could tell him:

"Jarold, I'm sorry, but it appears that I won't be able to do the SEO writing that you are asking for. It is too far outside the scope of our original agreement, and I do not want either of us to get in trouble with Upwork rules that prohibit clients asking for work outside of the written milestone specification. I undestand that you were hoping to get this additional element. Would you be willing to compromise by paying $20 for the work I have done thus far? I would agree to that payment, and you could close the account, and all of the work would belong to you. Otherwise, I would need to cancel the contract without payment, which would mean that ownership would remain with me and you wouldn't be able to use it."

Preston H wrote:

Alternatively, you could tell him:

"Jarold, I'm sorry, but it appears that I won't be able to do the SEO writing that you are asking for. It is too far outside the scope of our original agreement, and I do not want either of us to get in trouble with Upwork rules that prohibit clients asking for work outside of the written milestone specification. I undestand that you were hoping to get this additional element. Would you be willing to compromise by paying $20 for the work I have done thus far? I would agree to that payment, and you could close the account, and all of the work would belong to you. Otherwise, I would need to cancel the contract without payment, which would mean that ownership would remain with me and you wouldn't be able to use it."

Don't use the not using part. It's translation, not original writing. That sentence would aggravate the client to no end, and rightly so.

Martina P wrote:

Otherwise, I would need to cancel the contract without payment, which would mean that ownership would remain with me and you wouldn't be able to use it."

Don't use the not using part. It's translation, not original writing. That sentence would aggravate the client to no end, and rightly so.

Actually, worded like this (without the usual "I can use it / post it on portfolio") is fine.

The translator owns the translation, but not the copyright. It is complicated and "owning" the translation with no right to sell it or do anything with it is pretty pointless, but at least it stops the client using it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members