🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Having an Upwork account Nightmare...
Page options
pleasehelpupwork
Community Member

Having an Upwork account Nightmare...

I'm going to try and keep this as simple as possible...

1.) I had an upwork account with a profile set up that I never used, not once.

2.) Next, a year later. I had a legal name change.

3.) I tried to close my old account and selected the reason being "I want to change my username"

4.) The community informed me that I was not allowed to create a new account even after closing one...

5.) I then closed my new account and said "Forget it. I will just reinstate my old account, live with the username, and change my legal name on that account.

6.) Lastly, discovered I could not simply reinstate my old account by logging in.

Now, I have an original account that's closed.

I also have a newer account that is now closed (which I would like to use because it is set up with my new legal identity and matching username.)

AND I have this account that I'm writing from so that I could get help because it is virtually impossible to find anyway to get in contact with Upwork.

I super appreciate any help and if Upwork would please reach out to me with an actual support ticket. I am very confused, I simply want to set my profile from scratch and actually start using it since I never did before.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Jay,

Please send me a PM with more information so I can check this for you. You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thanks. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
colettelewis
Community Member

You are not allowed more than one account on Upwork. If you create a second account, either you will be terminated completely, or you will be given an option (if you have made a genuine mistake) to delete the second account, and you will be allowed to continue on your first accout. 

You cannot change your user name - the name you log in with.  You may change the name on your profile, but you will need customer support to do this, and they will probably ask you to verify officially. 

And if you had read the terms and conditions to begin with, you wouldn't need the high horse now.

Thank you for your response. I have read the terms and conditions, however it has been a while since I read them because as I said, my account was setup, but out of use for almost a year.

I didn't think that this sort of thing was so serious, as most every other website I've used out there allows you to close accounts and reinstate them as you wish (with the exception of data loss) I assume most sites operate like this because at the end of the day they want you to use their service and make it easy for you to get back on.

Anyhow, I'm sure Upwork has their reasons even if I don't currently understand it. I just want to get an account back up so I can truly try out the service.

JoanneP

Hi Jay,

Please send me a PM with more information so I can check this for you. You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thanks. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I will do that, thank you!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members