🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Having to deal with a strange client
Page options
read_your_data
Community Member

Having to deal with a strange client

Hi,

Unfortunately, I just faced a strange client, the job is fixed price that was supposed to be finished within two days and I did it in two days,

he invited me to slack to speak about everything there, but he is really annoying me, he is telling me that I am not understanding his requirements, I am doing everything he wants but he just can't accept it, and he is always speaking in a bad way.

I have 5 stars from all my previous clients (I think just one of them is without a review at all) and a top rated badge, and now he is telling me that I am unable to communicate in English.

Now, he also wants me to wait for maybe a week for him to understand and test everything I have done, not considering that other clients may not accept to work with me if I will have an active contract. considering that we agreed to finish in two days.

I am afraid he will give me a bad review that will affect my profile after all the work I have done to build it,

it's true that I finished what I was supposed to do for this job,

but I don't want his money I want to make a refund or to end the contract in a way without getting a bad review from him.

Thanks,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Ahmed,

There is nothing you can do to prevent a client from leaving feedback for you once you've entered into a contract.

Yes, you can get his public feedback erased from your profile if you give him a full refund, but then you'll be unpaid for all your work and his private feedback will still have the same effect on your Job Success Score.

You can cancel the project at any time. If you are Top-Rated, you can also have all of his feedback - public and private - removed from your profile and your JSS calculation.

If you've done the work you originally agreed to do, then you're done unless you and he agree to more work for more pay. You can't let this kind of client decide when the project is "done." 

If he continues to pester you, just tell him you don't think you're the right freelancer for him. Don't agree to any refund. Just tell him goodbye, close the project, tell Upwork you want his feedback removed and move on to better clients.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Ahmed,

There is nothing you can do to prevent a client from leaving feedback for you once you've entered into a contract.

Yes, you can get his public feedback erased from your profile if you give him a full refund, but then you'll be unpaid for all your work and his private feedback will still have the same effect on your Job Success Score.

You can cancel the project at any time. If you are Top-Rated, you can also have all of his feedback - public and private - removed from your profile and your JSS calculation.

If you've done the work you originally agreed to do, then you're done unless you and he agree to more work for more pay. You can't let this kind of client decide when the project is "done." 

If he continues to pester you, just tell him you don't think you're the right freelancer for him. Don't agree to any refund. Just tell him goodbye, close the project, tell Upwork you want his feedback removed and move on to better clients.

Hi thank you for replying,

I was going through this article: 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Feedback-Removal#:~:text=Send%20an%20email%20...

it shows that I have two options.

I ended the contract because he wanted to keep me in promising that he will give me a bonus.

I asked him to close the contract first then he can propose a new one but he refused, so I had to close it myself.

I am expecting a bad review from him, that's why I want to make sure of how to fix this.

thank you

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are top-rated, so you have the luxury of not having to worry about the occasional bad feedback, you can have it removed, together with the JSS impact.

End the contract, keep the money, and enjoy your top-rated perk!

Thank you so much,

I decided to give him some time and see where is this going.

Thank you all for support, I the fact that my rating and JSS will not be affected by this type of clients.

Thank you all

virtualbrix
Community Member

This will happen at times, you can either wait and see what happens or you can just end it. If you do end it, you can either not take any money and hope they do not leave bad private feedback or as Martina said, you can close it, keep the money and if you do have a bad review (most likely, you will), you can use the perk.

3a761b81
Community Member

I think others have given great solutions to your problem. I just want to add one thing about this point

//..... not considering that other clients may not accept to work with me if I will have an active contract.//

This is usually not the case. So many Upwork freelancers have multiple active contracts running at a time provided they can give time to all of their running projects. Having an active job will normally not deter other clients from engaging with you. Being a freelancer its generally understood that you are not bound to only one active client.

That's a good point, Zohaib Ali K.

I usually have between 5 - 15 active contracts at any one time, so that was not an issue for any of those clients. But I have had a small number of potential clients over the years asking if I have time to work on their projects. 

The trick is not take on more work than I can do - and am willing to work extra hours or weekends to get the work done. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths