🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » He approved/ended contract without any work- ...
Page options
d7595c06
Community Member

He approved/ended contract without any work- paused contract

Hi ! here is what happened to me:

- Upwork paused the contract with my client, after he funded the milestone

- I message the client and he tells me this is because of payment methods problems, and that he couldn't change it because upwork didn't allow. (So, the contract will not be reactivated....)

- He suggested this solution: I request approval of the milestone without sending the work, he accepts, I get my money, and after it I send the work file in the chat

My first doubt is: Can I do that? How the contract will be ended, he can even accept a milestone of a paused contract? 

And one more doubt: How to proceed to avoid effects of this in my reputation, (doing or not doing the work, my priority is my reputation, sure!) since I don't have any participation in this problem? I've noticed that if I end the contract, for example, it can affect me.... 

Thanks a lot!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Saulo,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
lysis10
Community Member

Upwork flags contract.

Client admits to it being a payment issue.

Freelancer worried about stars cuz they are priority.

Wonders how to get around obvious payment issues instead of telling client to get his poop together and blow off the client until he does.

ngmi

d7595c06
Community Member

I think i got your point, thanks for the helpful and from what I got, acid answer. Do you know how to finish the contract without affecting me ?

lysis10
Community Member

Saulo Dutra Á wrote:

I think i got your point, thanks for the helpful and from what I got, acid answer. Do you know how to finish the contract without affecting me ?

Yes, a client with payment issues should be disregarded and told to get it together and let you know when he fixes the issue. If he's perma'd, that's a huge red flag.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

The client said his credit card can't be charged or changed, so how would you ever get the money? Does the client tell you that upwork will pay you? They will not if they don't receive it from the client. 

I've noticed that if I end the contract, for example, it can affect me.... What do you mean by that? If you end the contract, what should be affected?

He funded the milestone. I understood that he paid and after that the contract was suspended due to new payment issues. Is it possible?

About "affect me" I mean reputation and job success score, since the contract were rolling... 

Thanks

You ending a contract has no effect on anything, same goes for leaving a contract open. Client leaving bad feedback is bad for your profile. 

pudingstudio
Community Member

If UpWork paused contract, that means something. Means a lot more than what your client promises you (unless it's your long time client, in which case you feel comfortable gambling on their word?).

Real (not fraudulent ones) clients can fix their payment method issue, easily.

Have you checked 101s of using UpWork? Are you familiar with "chargeback fraud"?

Thanks. I'm not aware of this type of scam... anyway I'm not continuing with this job without a reactivated contract..

Do you know what should I do to end it without costs to my profile reputation? 

Saulo Dutra Á wrote:

Thanks. I'm not aware of this type of scam... anyway I'm not continuing with this job without a reactivated contract..

Do you know what should I do to end it without costs to my profile reputation? 

When you (as freelancer) close/end contract, client is notified and reminded that they can leave feedback. Probably they won't bother.

All of us have had dips in JSS, and will have them again. JSS is not something that holds you hostage. When you do your best there is no chance your JSS will go lower than 90 percent (90-100% is considered normal, 80% is recoverable, 70% is tough but doable.....).

I don't know your client, nor your job in question. Still, would recomend to wait. Maybe we are all wrong and this client is an awesome person, eager to fix their issue.
I do not know - that is big part of your job. To recognise if someone is wasting your time, or it's a time well spent.

Do your job and JSS will reflect that, nothing to worry about.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Updates...  I didn't do any work

Contract is paid and the feedback done. The problem is: is this money legal, can upwork take it back ? 

Upwork won't answer my chat support 😑

It is possible. You can say for sure within week-two. Upwork will refund money if something wrong there.

Hi Saulo,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths