🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Held hostage by a client
Page options
get_it_done1121
Community Member

Held hostage by a client

A client is not closing the contract which was suppose to be a one hour job. It's been two weeks and he says it will probably take much longer but is forcing me to start working on another task without a contract. I specifically asked him if the VPN was up before accepting the job, which is a requirement to complete it and he said it was up. It turns out its not up and hasn't been up till now. He knows Im a new freelancer and closing the contract on my own or a negative feedback will be really bad for me. I feel stuck, don't know what to do. I have left him numerous messages, he comes online but doesn't reply. I've asked him to end the contact amicably and have a new one as soon as the VPN is up with the same terms but he hasn't replied. They keep saying "lets do it" to the other project they want me to work on but won't create a contract for. Please help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Shehryar K wrote:

I want the opportunity to leave a public feedback on his profile and tell everyone to avoid this client. His last client left him a 1 star feedback and warned everyone to stay away but I gave him benefit of the doubt because of his other good ratings.

The only way you can do that is to get a small payment, close the contract, and give the client an opportunity to leave feedback as well. It is a risk, but they might not bother.

Not going to make that mistake again.

A painful lesson for sure, but priceless on any freelancing platform.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
lysis10
Community Member

There is a "close contract" button in the contract UI on your end. You'll lose any money in escrow though. You can request what's in escrow but you have to wait 14 days for it to auto release.

Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't done any work because I couldn't since the VPN is down. I'm not worried about the money anyway. I'm more concerned about my JSS. I only have 2 completed jobs so far, soon to be 3 and any negative impact would be really bad for my percentage. 

If you can put in for $5 release and then you close the contract, then that is the best way to maneuver around the JSS hit.

This sounds like a stupid question but how do I do that? 

When you submit to the milestone, you can type in any amount. Type $5 (or whatever you think you should be paid) and just wait. He can ask for revisions but if he disappears you'll get the money in 14 days and then you can close the contract with money on it.

I can do that but then I risk him giving me a negative feedback. If no money is exchanged then at least he can't give me a negative feedback out of spite becase I'm pretty sure he will. I mean what kind of person passively blackmails you for additional work without closing the contract he lied to get me into! I think I'll just close it, I can't be bothered with this anymore. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Shehryar K wrote:

A client is not closing the contract which was suppose to be a one hour job. It's been two weeks and he says it will probably take much longer but is forcing me to start working on another task without a contract. I specifically asked him if the VPN was up before accepting the job, which is a requirement to complete it and he said it was up. It turns out its not up and hasn't been up till now. He knows Im a new freelancer and closing the contract on my own or a negative feedback will be really bad for me. I feel stuck, don't know what to do. I have left him numerous messages, he comes online but doesn't reply. I've asked him to end the contact amicably and have a new one as soon as the VPN is up with the same terms but he hasn't replied. They keep saying "lets do it" to the other project they want me to work on but won't create a contract for. Please help!

Are you able to do the second task he wants done? Why don't you simply do it on the first contract, you don't need a second or seperate one, unless I'm missing something? 

It's completely unrelated and I don't want to work for him anymore. I told him I'm not interested in the other task and I'll work on the original task when he has the details ready. I want the opportunity to leave a public feedback on his profile and tell everyone to avoid this client. His last client left him a 1 star feedback and warned everyone to stay away but I gave him benefit of the doubt because of his other good ratings. Not going to make that mistake again. 

Shehryar K wrote:

I want the opportunity to leave a public feedback on his profile and tell everyone to avoid this client. His last client left him a 1 star feedback and warned everyone to stay away but I gave him benefit of the doubt because of his other good ratings.

The only way you can do that is to get a small payment, close the contract, and give the client an opportunity to leave feedback as well. It is a risk, but they might not bother.

Not going to make that mistake again.

A painful lesson for sure, but priceless on any freelancing platform.

Yes, i'll wait for him to have the details ready for me to carry out the job. If he won't do that then I'll charge him a small amount to leave a feedback. Thank you for all your help. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths