🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hello guys
Page options
4041782c
Community Member

Hello guys

I am new to freelancing and also New to upwork.com. upon not knowing the full works of the site I was contacted by a client re a proposal I submitted. They asked to reach out on telegram. I did and was told that I should pay a deposit according to the four different proposal was sent and choose one and pay the money as per the proposal you choose which is refundable after project submitted.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Do you have a question?

I hope you didn't send any money, this is a well known scam. 

Telegram = scam

Talking outside of upwork before hire = scam, plus can get you suspended for violation ToS.

4041782c
Community Member

• I am new to freelancing and also New to upwork.com. upon not knowing the full works of the site I was contacted by a client re a proposal I submitted. They asked to reach out on telegram. I did and was told that I should pay a deposit of 100 usd which is refundable after I choose the project of different payments and after I complete the project and submited they will refund the money as it will be a guarantee for the work I'm gonna do.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Pritesh P wrote: They asked to reach out on telegram. I did and was told that I should pay a deposit of 100 usd 

It's (obviously) a scam. They aren't hiring you They have no job for you. Nobody pays that much for that kind of work. They just want your money

If you stop violating Upwork's terms of service by contacting clients outside the platform, you'll be safe from the vast majority of the scams and also from Upwork suspending your account for breaking the rules.

NikolaS

Hi Pritesh,

Please know that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. Sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Feel free to check this thread and this help article to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

I will also share your report with our team for further review. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members