Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help! Client cancelled contract instead of ending contract

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
1 of 19

Hi,

This week I started a project with a new client.  It was for a fixed price and he set it up as the fixed price for 1 hour of work.  I completed the work and manually entered my time into work diary.  After client was satisfied with my work, he "cancelled" instead of "closed" the contract.  

At first I didn't realize there was a difference so waited one day (today) and see my time and money is not added to my week's worth of work.  He's since asked me for some changes and I obliged.  As soon as I discovered what happened I took a screenshot of the cancelled page and sent it to him asking him to rectify.  Anything else I can do on my end?  I don't want this to affect my job score.

Thank you!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 19

You don't add time in an escrow job. But I assume you say this was hourly but you were only able to enter one hour. If he cancelled the contract and disputed the manual hours, you auto-lose. Use the tracker.

Community Guru
3 of 19

Yes it was an hourly job where he put the fixed rate for 1 hour of work.  I entered into the work diary tracker. He didn't cancel because there was a dispute.   He cancelled by mistake.  

Community Guru
4 of 19

Robin H wrote:

Yes it was an hourly job where he put the fixed rate for 1 hour of work.  I entered into the work diary tracker. He didn't cancel because there was a dispute.   He cancelled by mistake.  

ok, well, I've never been in a dispute over hourly time, so I can't say if you get a refund request or what. With escrow, you get a refund request.

I think the best thing to do is look in your reports to see if the hour is displayed in your "Work in Progress" section. If it is, then you should be ok provided the charge goes through on Monday. When clients dispute time, it's removed from your reports so then it wouldn't be there. However, reports seem to be updating slow since the maintenance update so if you don't see it in reports, go into your work diary and see if it's there. However, I'm not sure how it works with disputes and hourly and manual hours.

Community Guru
5 of 19

I went into the report and it is listed as a job but no hours or $'s attached. :-( . I will reach out to Upwork directly.  Argh.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 19

Robin H wrote:

I went into the report and it is listed as a job but no hours or $'s attached. :-( . I will reach out to Upwork directly.  Argh.  Thanks.

ok, I would look in your work diary. It took over 12 hours for something to show in my reports, so I wouldn't panic yet. Unfortunately, I've never been in an hourly dispute so I don't know these things from hands-on experience, and since manual time isn't protected I don't know how this works if a client cancels a contract. When escrow is cancelled, you get a refund request and then you go into mediation, but manual time is an auto-lose thing so I'm not sure if they send you anything. 

The hours would go into review next week, but since he cancelled I'm all sorts of not sure. Sorry. I think I would check your work diary though.

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
7 of 19

Can current week's hours be dispute? I thought during the current week you dispute last week's hours.

Community Guru
8 of 19

Elba A wrote:

Can current week's hours be dispute? I thought during the current week you dispute last week's hours.

Yeah I don't know because the contract was cancelled not closed. Not sure how that works since it's manual time. If reports weren't fubar'd at the moment, I'd say just go off of reports and if the hour is there then you're good.

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
9 of 19

Robin H wrote:

Hi,

1) It was for a fixed price and he set it up as the fixed price for 1 hour of work.  2) I completed the work and manually entered my time into work diary. 

3) After client was satisfied with my work, he "cancelled" instead of "closed" the contract.  

At first I didn't realize there was a difference so waited one day (today) and see my time and money is not added to my week's worth of work.  He's since asked me for some changes and I obliged.  As soon as I discovered what happened I took a screenshot of the cancelled page and sent it to him asking him to rectify.  Anything else I can do on my end?  I don't want this to affect my job score.

Thank you!

1) There's no such thing, is either one or the other but not both.

2) It looks like it was an hourly contract, manual time is not protected, so he might have disputed, he won by default.

3) The result is the same, the contract is closed and nothing can be done.

If hourly, see here to see where is your money.

If fixed-price did you request payment thru milestone before the client closed the contract? Otherwise, you should have received a refund request, or he released the funds and it must be in pending tab.

Community Guru
10 of 19

Thanks for your reply.  It should have been a fixed price but he put it in as an hourly job, the agreed-upon fixed price for 1 hour of work.  How do I know if he disputed?  It was done so quickly I really think it was a mistake.  I have comunication with him on Upwork that wouldn't align with any disputes being made.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS