🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help! Desktop App not opening, throwing error...
Page options
sldittrich
Community Member

Help! Desktop App not opening, throwing error "THERE WAS A PROBLEM LOADING UPWORK"

I am trying to use the desktop app for the first time and it is not opening.  When I click it, all it says is 
"THERE WAS A PROBLEM LOADING UPWORK Please check your internet connection and restart the app."
It then verifies that my internet connection is good, then restarts and says the same thing.

I am using a Mac book pro (OS 10.14).  I tried deleting and redownloading the app a few times and restarting my computer a few times with no change.  I don't believe there are any older versions of Upwork installed. None of the trouble shooting tips are helpful as I can't even get into the app or report a problem because you need to be logged into the app to report a problem.

Please help, this is frustrating as I am supposed to start my first job tomorrow.  
3 REPLIES 3
sldittrich
Community Member

UPDATE: The solution was to copy and paste this in the Terminal window and then redownload the software:
mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Upwork{,.bak}

I guess I had downloaded some old version of it long ago and it was still cached?  Upwork Help says "this usually happens when an older version of the tracker was used on the computer before, and the old version of login screen is cached in the tracker directory.  To resolve this, you need to remove the cache."

Is there a solution to this for Windows users? Upwork support did reach out to me but they're pretty much useless, so far. None of their solutions are working and even the Technical team suggested some troubleshooting tips, which were all useless:/

I don't know what's going on but right now, I'm working without tracking time. Can someone please be serious about this and help me?

Hi Aman,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this issue has caused you. I checked and I can see that our team has escalated your concern to our technical team for further checking. One of our agents will update your ticket directly to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths